Logo

BF40 Carb cleaning

Chilitopper

Hi

I'm planning on spraying some carb cleaner into the carbs as I'm experiencing some stalling problems on acceleration. If I remove the silencer cover will I be able to get the spray into the carbs, or do I have to dig deeper?

Thanks

Before you start spraying the cleaner, you should pull your plugs and see what story they can tell. If you spray first, you destroy the evidence. The main thing carb cleaner does through the barrel of the carburetor is it washes out the throttle bore and can be useful in decarbonizing the valves, head and piston tops. It won't do anything to help clogged jets or passages, if that's what you're asking.

It's also advisable to verify your fuel delivery IE: tank pick-up clean, primer stays hard, no air entering lines, gas quality, etc. before condemning your carburetors as the culprits.

If all of that checks out, you might want to run some additives through the engine before going for carburetor rebuild. Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner works well in carburetors and Sea-Foam is tried and true too.

Draining your float chambers frequently to remove particulates and water is cheap insurance to keep good carbs working reliably so, if you don't do that regularly, get a routine down for doing so.

Back