Logo

kill switch for a trolling motor?

Benz Mondi

I'm new to boating...

It hasn't happened to me- yet. I have heard where a solo bass fisherman fishing at the bow while using his trolling motor, lost his balance when the boat glanced a snag and got knocked overboard. The boat continued without him as he scrambled to the shore. The boat luckily ended up running aground a 100 yards up the shore.

I know about kill switches for the boat motor, anyone set one up for the trolling motor?

Thanks,

Al
Folsom, CA

suppose it can be done, run ground wire thru a kill switch with lanyard. mine has an attwood floor mounted switch that you step on to make motor turn, let off it stops.

what I didn't say was I bought my boat with a 12/24 motorguide hand control trolling motor. It was rigged with a foot switch on the front deck floor. The ground wire was routed to this switch first then on to the plug for the trolling motor. Set the speed you want on the motor then step on the switch button to connect the curcuit to the motor. I used this motor for about 4 yrs. with no problems. Decided I wanted a foot control, so wired the different plug for 24 v.67 lbs. thrust minn Kota. turn control to momentery, set speed dial on foot control, lock foot switch on deck, step on button on foot control . It has worked this way for 10 yrs with no problems. If I still had the hand control I would not lock the on/ off switch on the deck,set the trolling motor speed on handle, step on switch & go, fall off boat & foot switch is release thereby stopping trolling motor.Like I said that way worked for 4 yrs with no issues.

Back