Logo

Constant warning BEEP - 2000 5.0 M/C I/O

bayray

Contributing Member
Pulled boat out of carport, washed/waxed, and test start before going out tomorrow. It has been about a month since our last outing.

Motor fired right up (as usual). After about 1-min of idleing at 625/650-rmp's the audio warning went on solid. The volume is not as loud (only about 20%) as the 'test' when the key is turned on but not started. Engine is RWC, and manifolds/risers replaced last summer.

I thought there are 3 things that set off the audio warning:
a. Low oil / pressure
b. Low sterndrive fluid in the reservoir
c. Overheating

Checked oil - clean and about 1/4 below the full mark on the dipstick, added about 1/2-quart to get to full mark. Sterndrive fluid was right at the top of the full line in the reservoir, and I added about 1-1/2 ounces to bring it a smidgen above the full line on the reservoir. Surely not overheating, as it was only idling for about 1-min. Temp gauge slowly advanced to 155-degrees, and both risers are barely warm.

I left the motor off for about 30-min, then fired it back up, and immediately the audio warning remains on. Any suggestions on what to check, and am I missing something else that may be activating the warning?

Impeller replaced last year with manifolds/risers. Wouldn't the impeller take a while to activate the audio alarm as an overheat issue?

Carb & Alpha-1. Good link for documentation on troubleshooting, thanks!

link should give you your specific manual , probably a TKS?
check temp sensor,oil pressure sensor also I would check for corroded grounds and scarfed wires. also check main wiring harness did not come loose.
not a boat mechanic but that's where I would start.

For whatever reason, no 'Bleaping' BEEP today...wtf? Well, not complaining. Maybe the outdrive fluid was slightly low, and/or the float-switch in the reservoir sticking.

Checked engine oil and reservoir outdrive fluid, and all OK. I lowered/raised the outdrive several times since yesterday afternoon, and topped off engine oil, and now appears everything is fine!

See ya out on the water. Mid 80's today, and only 40% Humidity, Whew-Hoo!

Back