Logo

1971 ??? Mercury 110, 9.8 hp.. not firing

randyj

Regular Contributor
This thing is driving me nuts!!! I pulled the flywheel and it has 2 sets of points but I don't see a condenser! I got it to fire one time. I've looked for all the obvious things, broken wires, disconnected the kill switch, checked everything I know to check... not a newbie at this but every time I've seen a motor of any kind with points it also had a condenser for each set of points. I got this motor as a "bonus" for doing some dock repairs, so no loss on investment... but would love to have it running. I was told it runs good but has a problem in lower unit. I have yet to get it to run at all.... anybody got a clue how to check this out or what to look for that I have not looked for? It's a really clean and nice looking motor. I did use emery cloth to clean the points and set them back at .020

That sounds like the 'maker' (vs. breaker) points electronic ignition system. The plugs fire when the pints close, not open.

Jeff

Thanks. I've never heard of that type system but it does make sense to me now. I checked the wires on the coils with a volt meter with an ohm meter. I got continuity to ground as long as the points were closed. How do I check to see if whatever it is that makes the spark is good?

The stop button???----------------------You need to check / find out if this system is " open " to run or " closed " to ground to run.

Thanks.. learn something new every day! I found this link on CDI's website and now have a good guide to troubleshooting this system. It is normally closed to ground so one point to check is to connect the kill wire switch to ground. Phase-Maker is new to me....

Thanks for your posts! I replaced the wires from points to coils, got fire and now it cranks very easily and runs like a new motor!

Randy I seem to have the same type of starting system on my motor and the coils are grounded all of the time even when the points make and break so I get no spark, I checked the points thru the wires to the coils and they are working fine. Any suggestions and what was the link you found from CDI that helped. I am not a mechanic but it seems the system is pretty simple and can't figure out what is wrong.

dlc

Back