Logo

7.5 dies at idle

stoo

7.5 starts fine runs well but will not idle,dies
carbs have been well clean,empty tank fresh full feul filter is clean but still can not get to idle any thoughts

Last edited:
1 - I know you said the carb was well cleaned, but did you remove the screw near the top of the carb and clean the passage under it? It is the idle passage.

2 - Did you set the idle mixture screw initially at 2 1/4 turns or 1 3/4 turns if the following conditions exist (Contact breaker type engine serial 1000004 ~ 1199999; or CDI type engine serial 1200001 ~ later)

3 - The timing belt may have jumped timing by a notch or two. Check the timing

Mike

re: "1 - I know you said the carb was well cleaned, but did you remove the screw near the top of the carb and clean the passage under it? It is the idle passage."

Been there, done that ...believe "hondadude"! No amount of "cleaner" and or "blowing" seems to clean this passage once it gets crud in it.
To clean this passage I used a single strand of copper wire that I peeled out of the twisted wire in a length of lamp cord. A magnifying glass (my eyes aren't a sharp as they used to be) and a pair of tweezers to hold the wire complete the "tool kit". While this is doable while the carb is on the engine, I prefer removing the carb, removing the main jet ( the one that is in the end of the "snout" that sucks up the gas out of the bowl.)
A few strokes with the wire and a couple of taps of the main jet end on a paper towel) worked just fine for me. I was satisfied to actually see the piece of $h1t that clogged my idle jet. A couple of blasts of air from an "air can", into the top of the idle jet passage completed the fix.

Last edited:
Back