Logo

440 Rocker arm Adjustment

capt_chad

I have a new noise and a bad miss in my Stbd 440. Obviously coming from the front of the inboard bank. I am going down to the boat today to pull the valve cover off and see what turned loose.

If I have a simple rocker arm problem what is the adjustment procedure on these 440s? Are they adjustable, do they simply torque to a spec. or do you adjust like on a Chevy small block?

Thanks.

The Rocker Arms should be adjustable via lock nut and adjuster.... unlike the SBC, whereby a stud nut is adjusted!
You will be setting the depth of the hydraulic cam follower "plunger" just as you would with any other hydraulic single camshaft V engine.

You can't go wrong if you follow your OEM specs!

That's what I was hoping for Jeff. I just don't want that valve to drop down to where I have to take the top end off the motor to get it.

So, what am I going to need besides the spring compressor? I have heard all kinds of stuff on how to keep the valve up while I am doing this. Compressed air, piston all the way up, a string, etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

Are the valve springs on the marine engines the same as automotive?

If you don't have access to compressed air, put breaker bar on crank pulley bolt and turn until piston is at bottom of stroke.
Next stuff about 10 feet of 3/8" poly braid rope (I used the yellow stuff) into the cylinder through the spark plug hole.
Then turn crankshaft until you feel a good amount of resistance from the rope being compressed.
You can now go ahead and compress the valve spring and remove the keepers.
One of those retrieval magnets are handy for pulling the keepers out of the valve stem groove.

Eero

Eero, the rope trick works well.
Good idea!

Chad, when you get this back together, do a compression check before trying to run it.
This will let you know if any damage occured from valve/piston contact.

Thanks for the info guys. I borrowed the spring compressor from a friend yesterday.

Still haven been able to locate a valve spring though. Any ideas.

Rick, that's a good idea. I will check the compression before I ever put the valve cover back on.

Chad, Try Lunati out of Memphis, TN. Ask for Shane Puchon, he's a freind of mine. He can steer you to a good quality heavy duty valve spring.

The Rocker Arms should be adjustable via lock nut and adjuster.... unlike the SBC, whereby a stud nut is adjusted!
You will be setting the depth of the hydraulic cam follower "plunger" just as you would with any other hydraulic single camshaft V engine.

You can't go wrong if you follow your OEM specs!

No the 440 rockers are not adjustable.

Dan

..."No; the 440 rockers are not adjustable."

Thought that was the case. I know the small blocks aren't either.

Jeff

Back