Logo

Timing light

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
My Crusader 8.2 MPI, EFI engines do not have any markings on the balancer other than the indent for TDC, I am looking to upgrade my timing light. Do the timing lights with the "advance" feature work on this type of engine? In other words I can dial in the timing advance, in my case it would be 10 degrees and then shoot the light and line up the indent with the pointer, Right? I thought I read somewhere that these kind of lights do not work on this type of setup that is on my engine.

The only setups where getting a timing light to work can be an issue are the C-O-P type. These are the distributor-less ignitions.

A timing tape is much cheaper and lets you use the existing light. Also less prone to any 'electronic' erros that may develop within the light.

The tapes are made to fit the balancer based on its diameter - have it before you buy.

The only advancable light I like is the Snap-On but at almost $500.00, most do-it-yourselfers can't justify the price.

....... A timing tape is much cheaper and lets you use the existing light. Also less prone to any 'electronic' erros that may develop within the light.

The tapes (aka decals) are made to fit the balancer based on its diameter - have it before you buy.
Mark, we sure agree here!

Don't forget that this is an EST system (electronic spark timing.... no mechanical advance!)
We get to set BASE advance while in BASE mode, but any spark lead is determined by the ECU/ECM.
However, and in step with Mark here, we can check the advance curve/limit in "real time/real degrees" by using a standard strobe type timing light if the harmonic balancer is correctly marked off!
RPM is increased as we strobe the new timing marks.

None of which will make much sense to you, unless you have the OEM ignition advance curve data in front of you!

This has always been my preference over that of a digitally advancing timing light.
Key words being; "real time/real degrees"!

Back