Logo

DP-S trim cylinder pin removal tool alternative

jon_allen

Regular Contributor
Hi Guys,

Trying to remove both trim cyl. pins at the transom shield on a DP-S with a grease gun no luck. Should I heat the shield, try making a puller adaptor or break down and buy the V/P pn 884978 tool? The shield will be refinished so I'm not worried about burning the paint with a torch. Also is there an aftermarket tool that I could use as a substitute for the V/P one?

Thanks,
Jon Allen

Jon, the DP-S drive does not use this system. You must have an earlier drive..... either a small pin 290, or a DP-C or later drive.
The DP-S ("S" as in "Sam") is like the Cobra and SX with the longer and externally mounted ram cylinders.

The pin removal tool (seen on page 13 here) that threads into the grease port is intended to be activated with a hammer. The impact creates a shock of hydraulic grease pressure. This is used in the event that grease gun pressure alone, is not enough.

Ditto the idea of heat!

Last edited:
Jon, here is what a DP-S drive looks like.
These are a Gimbal type suspension system..... Not "Main Suspension Fork", like the AQ series.
These also use Thru-Prop exhaust.

SLR011_1.jpg

Here is a similar DP-S transom shield. Note the cylinders attaching to a Gimbal Ring.

images

Here is the earlier DP-C style drive. This is Main Suspension Fork geometry!
Uses direct cylinder-to-main-fork attachment... no Rev Latch.
(this one is actually a D or E drive)

l_m5_big.jpg

Here is an earlier yet 290 DP. Again, Main Suspension Fork geometry!
Note the SS cylinder mounting bracket.
This drive also uses the Rev Latch.

images

If you have the type of cylinder base pins that are removed hydraulically, then you must have one of the two earlier drives.

Hi Ricardo,

Its a funny thing the upper gear case has a metal tag on it which reads DPC1 but the transom shield just aft of the flywheel cover has a decal which reads DP-S go figure. Anyhow it is clearly the earlier drive with the pins but not a DP 290. The engine drive unit is a 1996 model year. So yes it is a DP C drive. Sorry for the confusion .Since the pins are located in the transom shield I referred to the decal.

Thanks,
Jon Allen

Jon, that can be confusing when reading the number from the tansom shield. I don't know why Volvo did this!
If you have the DP-C1, you have one of Volvo's best drives, IMO.

Re: DP-C trim cylinder pin removal tool alternative

Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for straightening out the drive confusion. What kind of success have you had with the V/P grease fitting tool? I'm good with a torch but would prefer not to use it. Any recommendations on a penetrating oil that might be superior to others on objects that have been exposed to salt water?

Thanks Much
Jon Allen

The grease gun pressure (or pressure from the V/P specail tool) is intended to remove these pins hydraulically, rather than relying on the threads and puller.
Penetrating oils will very likely do you little to no good!
Moderate "Heat", and the hydraulic removal, is your best bet, IMO.

Back