Logo

Notice: Recall for 2010 Model Mercruisers with Alpha or Bravo Drives

James Cole

Administrator
There has been a recall announced for 2010 models related to the intermediate shift cable. If know anyone who owns a 2010 model, please pass this information on.

Recall commences: 16/09/2010

Product Make: Mercury MerCruiser Stern Drives Packages (power boat engines)
Product Models: MerCruiser 4-cylinder, V-6, V-8 petrol and 4-cylinder, 6-cylinder diesel engines Stern Drive models supplied with Alpha & Bravo Transoms Assemblies.

Models Affected:
Transoms Shipped With MerCruiser Engines
Engine Serial Number
Transom Serial Number
Alpha
1A602571-1A621587
1A194127-1A68107
Bravo
1A350418-1A621253
1A437945-1A444913
Loose Transoms
(Spare Parts)

Alpha 1A194127-1A468107
Bravo 1A437945-1A444913
MC1 0A845988-0A846138

Marine Power International Pty Ltd has become aware that certain MerCruiser Sterndrive Packages require replacement of the Intermediate Shift Cable to ensure the safety and reliability of your MerCruiser package.

The intermediate shift cable connects the engine's remote throttle and shift control unit to the stern drive's gearshift mechanism. If the shift cable core fitting becomes detached, the operator will be unable to change gears (forward, neutral, reverse).
To determine whether a gearshift cable is affected by this recall, the cable date code stamped on the barrel of the cable jacket (on shift bracket end of the cable) needs to be inspected and possibly replaced.

People with an affected engine (as per the above table) should immediately discontinue use and contact their nearest MerCruiser, Mercury or Mariner Dealer who will arrange for the engine to be inspected and rectified at the expense of Marine Power International Pty Ltd.

Recently, more than 32,000 cars have been integrated in a BMW recall, in which a component could pose a fire hazard. The situation, solely contained to specific versions made between 2008 and 2011, is with a part that can smolder and burn in automobiles with either 8 or 12-cylinder turbocharged engines. Here is the proof: BMW announces recall over potential fire hazard.

James, Is there a location where a boat owner can go to view all recalls? I have a 2006 496 HO with Mercruiser Bravo 1 XP. We bought it used, so not sure I would be notified of any recall?

James, Is there a location where a boat owner can go to view all recalls? I have a 2006 496 HO with Mercruiser Bravo 1 XP. We bought it used, so not sure I would be notified of any recall?
The only place to see all service bulletins for your engine would be at your local Mercruiser dealer.

Sometimes someone will post a bulletin here or there type deal and some marine websites may have a bigger list of them but they don't/not allowed to post them all.

Here would be one place for example,
http://www.marinemechanic.com/site/page19.html

It's seems hard to find any merc bulletins past 06ish from what i have noticed on the internet.

The only way Mercruiser would know to mail you anything about your engine would be if you had registered the engine in your name going through your local merc dealer or i believe (not positive) calling customer assistance would get you registered as well.

Going through your local merc dealer is supposed to cost you $50.00 though, that's why i'm not positive if they would do it free had you called them up with questions.;)
http://www.mercurymarine.com/contact-us-online-merc/

There where a couple in and around 06 on the 496 from what i can remember.

Hope this helps, Good luck.:)

NOTICE!! Anyone that purchases a used Marine Product should contact the manufacturer to have him or her names and addresses recorded as the current owner, this will insure they will be notified of any recall, they will also be informed of any warranty that may be avaliable to them. Its a good idea it could save you thousands. Not limited by year of origional purchase etc.

Give me your serial # I will look it up

Steve
I decided to buy a 21 feet boat with mercruiser 4.3 mpi......after all these years having all kind of outboards tested..driving planing......it has being to long since my last experience with sterndrives...last time it was twin volvo penta diesels at 93.....now as an experience engineer and 50 years old i came back and retried the sterndrive experience by mercruiser,,,,,,,,BOAT THAT I APROACHED HAD ONLY 150 HOURS AND IT WAS IN GOOD SHAPE THE PREVIOUS OWNER WAS A BOAT DEALER ,,,,,BUT LET ME SPEAK FROM HURT I WAS TOTALY DISSAPOINTED....MERCRUISER IS PRODUCINC JUNK ,,,IRON CUST RUSTY METALS FROM MIDLE AGE....EVERYTHING IN THIS COSTRUCTION IS RUSTED AND FAILURE.....YOU MERCRUISER PEOPLE ,,YOU ARE USING CAR PARTS IN SEA APLICATIONS ,,,,WHAT A BIG FAIL AND MISTAKE...WAKE UP AND SEE ALL AROUND YOU ANODISE ALOUMINIOUM AND ALOUMINIOUM FOR SEA APLICATIONS HAS INVENTED....FOR YOU MERCRUISER PEOPLE THAT YOU WERE MANUFACTURED IRON CAST MANIFOLDS AND RISERS ALL I CAN THINK IS THAT YOU WERE LOST IN MIDLE AGE......EVEN ALL YOUR PARTS ARE FUNNY LOOKING AFTER COMPARING WITH JAPANESE QUALITY,,,,EVEN ORINGS AND HOSES THAT YOU ARE USING ARE JUNK....CABLES ...EVERYTHING IS A BAD JOKE TO ME HERE.......LISTEN TO MY STATEMENT ...JUST HAVE A LOOK AT JAPANESE ENGINES AT SEA APLICATIONS AND START MANUFACTURING GOOD PRODUCTS CAUSE YOU ARE LOOSING CUSTOMERS EVERY DAY....I WILL SELL THIS JUNK CONSTRUCTION HALF PRICE AND GET MY SELF AN OUTBOARD BOAT AGAIN:mad:

Back