Logo

Grinding Noise??

Mclovin

So I just fixed one problem, then after 2 trips another problem. Had a good day on the water, cruising back in when the engine suddenly bogs down and starts making a terrible noise. Sounds like something grinding ...metal on metal?? Power down and the sound goes away and the engine runs smooth. As soon as I try power up, grinding sound. I can slowly cruise at about 10km/h with no problem. I'm hoping it's nothing too major any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

OUCH! That just ain't fair...get the thing started and get whammied again!

Not sure what you got going on there but you need to get it in a test tank (trash can) and try to determine if the noise is down low or up top. One thing that came to mind as soon as I read your post is the recent starter problem. If the noise is coming from under the cowl, that's what I'd suspect first, that the starter might be doing something weird. Look for metal filings around starter to flywheel teeth. A small, dirty pile of shavings might be normal but shiny new chunks bad.

How long have you owned this motor and when was the last time the gear-case was serviced?

In addition to JGMO's advice, the first thing I would do before putting it into the test tank is pull the prop and make sure you don't have fishing line and other crap wrapped around the shaft. Leave the prop off while testing in the tank.

I'll have to check closer when I get a chance, but it seemed to be coming from somewhere other than the engine. It's a 45hp Honda outboard. This is my first year with the boat, and I will say we've put a lot of hours on it. I will also check for line in the prop, can u just pick that up while running/trolling?? Definitely sounded like a prop thing to me, but I don't know a lot about theses things. I'm guessing the oil was changed at the beginning of the season when I had it in the shop for a oil/tune up. Do I need to change it more than once a season?? I have checked the engine oil a number of times and it's always full.

I change the lower unit oil every time I change the engine oil - every 100 hours or every season, whichever comes first. Not sure about your engine, but my BF225 has a magnetic drain plug in the lower unit, which I inspect carefully at each oil change. Small pieces of metal are normal in small amounts. Larger pieces, 0.5 mm and above, are abnormal.

You'd be amazed at the crap you can pick up in the prop while trolling. Several years ago I dug out of my prop what appeared to be the remains of the top part of a bikini. In our area pieces of crab pot ropes are a typical hazard.

Folks like Hondadude and JGMO are far more familiar with the smaller Hondas than I am, so hopefully they will kick in on this thread once you get it in a test tank and give a better idea of where the problem is..

chawk_man is right. Almost anything "string like" is apt to wrap up behind the prop...including a bikini it would appear!

I always say that fishing line is the number one killer of prop shaft seals. And failed prop shaft seals are usually the number one killer of the gear and bearing sets in your lower end because first, the oil leaks out, and second, water enters.

Monofiliment line wraps up between the prop thrust washer and seal face and then melts and fuses to itself due to friction, becoming a mass that grinds into the thrust washer and the seal, destroying the seal.

The only way to prevent this is to frequently take off your prop and inspect for line. One trip is all it takes to pack in a large piece of line. I recommend keeping a spare thrust washer, grease and cotter pin so that you can change them out easily. The thrust washer becomes ineffective at reducing wear at the prop hub and seal face after being scored by the fishing line. If the thrust faces of the washer are damaged, it should be replaced.

Take a look in there and get back to us.

Do you have a 30" shaft motor?

Because let me tell ya a problem with them.....

Verticle shaft Bushing = $30 something US dollars
Labor - "Intense" if corrosion exsists.

Check to see if your Lower Unit comes off like Butta. If not and it's tough to pull then the corosion has built up on top of the VSB and has cock-eyed your VSB and will make a either nasty SS to Bronze SQUEAL, or possibly a grinding noise.

Been there done that, found another CHINK in the so called Honda armor.

My final cost: $380

I think the reported problems with the shaft bearing and bushing in the 30" shafts is mostly occuring with the Honda 200's and 225's.

My engine is just a lil 45hp. I'm gonna take the prop off and take a look, then if I can't see any crap there, I'll throw it in a tub and test it too see where the sound is coming from. I'm pretty sure it's in the leg/prop area. The engine sounded and ran fine until I try push it over about 10km/h. I put it in reverse and it ran fine as well. I won't get a chance to do anything till thursday, but I'll post my findings then.
Thanks again everyone

Before you run it again...with the key off... have someone turn the prop by hand (turning counterclockwise).

Shift the motor into forward. The prop should have a positive lock and not click. If may be possible, the shift linkage just needs some adjustment to give you more forward gear. You clutchdog could be not quit engaging. It may take a load to cause it to fail. I did understand you to say, it sounded ok in reverse.

Mike

I removed the prop today. I removed cotter pin, then the castle nut. The manual says there should then be a plain washer, how important is this as I didn't have one. Then I removed the spline nut and slid off the prop. Thrust washer looked fine, then I looked into the shaft/gear casing and pulled out what was left of a brass o ring. I then checked the gear oil, which was full, but smelt a little burnt and I also noticed it was a littel milky. Here's a picture of what I pulled out. This seems bad??

DSC02429.jpg

Last edited:
If you found no metal on the drain plug of the lower unit, it is a good sign. If it was just a little milky, change the gear lube. You will probably eventually need to have your drive resealed, but that is secondary to your other obvious issues. Although they could be part of the problem.

The item in the picture could what is left of the claw washer (#18), that locks the gear case nut (#7) and holds the guts of your gearcase together. If it is, your gear case nut may be gone too. NOT GOOD! It could be something completely different. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Honda/Outboard%20Engine/1997/BF45AM%20LRTA%20MARINE%20ENGINE%2C%20JPN%2C%20VIN%23%20BLAF-1000001/PROPELLER/parts.html The thrust washer should be pretty thick. You should also have a spacer (stainless about 3/8" thick), a washer and a nut. See the parts breakdown.

Without the thrust washer, the prop was probably grinding against the gear case nut.

It is possible someone put a prop on it that is not compatible or is an aftermarket.

Are there any numbers on the prop?

How about a picture of the prop and a picture of the propshaft going into the gearcase (to see if the claw washer and gear case nut are still there.

This sure looks like a real potential for the source of the grinding.

You could run the motor without the prop...put it in gear and see if the grinding goes away. If it did, you are probably on the right track.

Mike

I didnt pull the drain plug of the lower unit just checked the level plug. There IS a thrust washer and it looks fine. I will check the drain plug tomorrow. Should I be able to see the claw washer and gear case nut if I pull the thrust washer off?? The thing I pulled out has no teeth. It's a brass ring with a seam on one side. As far as I know the prop is a genuine prop. I did have the engine checked out at the beginning of the year by a good mechanic and he didn't see a problem with it. I can take a pic of the propshaft going into the gearcase and check the prop for numbers. Just to re-iterate I pulled the castle nut, a washer then the prop with a spacer or spline nut?? nut attached then there is a thrust washer but I didn't pull it all the way off the shaft, just tooka look to see if I could see any wear. I will take a closer look tomorrow as well as pictures. Thanks Mike, hopefully it's not too bad!

It sounds like you have all the necessary parts. The spacer or spline nut is not part of the prop if it is a Honda prop. Many people use a mercury prop that may have what looks like a built in spacer.

That debris may not be the claw washer...it could be something that you picked up or something that came out the exhaust.

If you can take a picture of the prop shaft and especially where is goes into the gear case. You should be able to see the claw washer and gearcase nut. It should be pretty apparent if any part of either are missing.

Mike

Back