Logo

Fuel pump 1996 115hp

zing

I think my fuel pump is shot. I'm getting no oil mixing with the gas and no alarm sounded yet the alarms for low oil and the overheat alarms work fine.
Compression is the same as it's been for 5 years, 95-100 on 3 cylinders and then old cylinder 1 which is 80.

I disconnected the oil side of the pump capped the pulse limiter at the engine as well as the fitting on the pump also capped the oil in and of course the oil line to the tank. and cut the brown lead to the pump. Is this the correct way to disable the oiler? Running it on a portable tank pre-mixing and it's cutting out after running a few minutes at 1200-1500 rpms in the no wake.

Had a problem with it not going over 3000 rpm proir to diconnecting the oil side. Now it will go on plane breifly before cutting out. Seems the fuel pump is shot but before I drop 400 on the pump I wanted to see if it might be something else. I do have the vent open on the portable tank and if I pump the ball she starts right up until it runs for 3-5 minutes at 5mph and cuts out, I get about 30 seconds when pegging the throttle.

It seems to me the pump just isn't keeping up with the demand or just isn't working. Maybe when I pump the ball it's filling the bowl on the fuel bracket that the carbs draw from, is there anything that needs to be serviced in that unit? maybe the primer ball is restricting fuel flow.
I've got the seldoc book so I'm kinda working blind, gotta break down and get that factory manual...

Portable fuel tank is vented and ball does not go flat but I someone keeps pumping it then it runs indefintately at idle and mid range, haven't tried it at WOT, but looking for a volunteer:)

Any tricks for installing a new pump, priming etc...?

1996 60 degree 115hp V4 ocean pro. BJ115SXEDR

Back