Logo

Fuel Tanks, Plastic vs. Aluminum

dcbullington

Contributing Member
I am replacing my old steel galvanized tanks and would like input about the pros & cons of plastic vs. aluminum. I haven't seen a big difference in cost, (around $500 for a 100 gal tank either way) but maybe some of you have some expieriences with either or both?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

I think the biggest factor in favor of the composite tanks is that they won't corrode and won't introduce another dissimilar metal that will cause galvanic action and corrosion elsewhere on the boat.

If you can find a composite tank that will match the dimensions of what you already have you would be best advised to go with it. If you need to have tanks fabricated they would most likely be aluminum. We sell Moeller Manufacturing below deck tanks.. They have an aftermarket line shown our site. They also have an OEM line with additional sizes. They are intended to be sold directly to boatbuilders and are considerably more expensive, but do offer more sizes.

You can see the OEM line on Moeller's website: http://www.moellermarine.com/

Thanks.

OK, I have replaced the old galvanized tanks with a single 100 gal aluminum tank. I have also replaced the old galvanized water tank with a poly tank. I am planning to use the leftover fuel fill to fill the water tank topside. Being the forgetful type, it would be a good idea to replace the old filler cap that says "fuel" on it with one that says "water". This would no doubt keep me from doing something that either way would be disastrous!

I have been told by a few people that there are filler caps that have water stamped on them. I have been asking around and surfing the web but haven't found one yet.

Does anyone know of a source for this? Has anyone even heard of this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dave Bullington
St. Charles, MO

Back