Logo

BF2 - will not run wide open with choke open

bobct

Advanced Contributor
I've been sort of limping along with my 2HP outboard which I bought used. Starts fine but only runs ok with the choke set about 1/2 way (after it's warm). If the choke is fully off, it'll hesitate and stall if I try and run WOT. In any position, it bogs down if I go WOT and I have to back off slightly. It feels like 1.75 HP :)

Fuel filter, plug and gas all new but no change.

It did sit with old gas before I bought it and I got it running and usable for the season. I would like to get it 100% over the winter though.

Should I rebuild the carb? I've also added Star-tron but no change either.

thanks,
Bob

Sounds like it is time for a carb job.

You said that you changed the filter...I assume it is the one in the fuel line where it comes out of the tank.

One additional thing to check is to see it there is any blockage in the fuel delivery from the tank. One easy way to check is to open the drain screw in the carburator and turn the fuel switch on. There should be a good constant flow coming out of the bottom of the carburator. If it dribbles out, do the same thing but with the fuel line to the carburator disconnected from the carburator. If is runs free, then the blockage is in the carb. If it dribbles, check to make sure you put the filter in correctly and is the fuel cutoff switch is not partially blocked.

Most likely, your main jet in the carb is partially blocked.

After you clean the carb, be sure that at full throttle the lever on the carb goes all the way to the stop.

Mike

thanks Mike, I'll check the flow..... good tip! Yes, I changed the in-line filter which actually looked pretty good.

Back