Logo

Throttle very stiff.

sec710n8

I have a 2007 Crownline and even since the winter storage the throttle has been very still. I have oiled and checked the lines and have narrowed the problem down to 2 points. Either the throttle body or the throttle cable/shifter at the driving station.

I know i can disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body fairly easily. If i can determine if the throttle body is moving as it should with the right amount of force then I know I can fix the other part. If its a problem in the throttle body I'll probably have to take it somewhere.

So my question, just as a rough estimate how much force should it take for me to move the arm on the throttle body by hand.

Thanks,
Steven

OK I will try to explain this to you as easily as I can...........wtf

if you disconect the throttle cable from the throttle body and you move your controll handle and the cable is still difficult to move the I would say you have found your problem area. Then disconnect the cable from the control box and see if the cable or the control box is the issue.

If it is not hard to move and you reconnect the cable to the throttle body and it is now hard to move then it most likely is the throttle body............

Is that easy enough to understand??

UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM???????????????????????

The TB should have a spring loaded force to it and that's it. You should be able to move it by hand fairly easy. But yes I think you found the solution to finding your problem. Report back if it's the TB. If it's the cable then replace it. If it's that new and is stiff then there is something besides lack of lube. Could be bent housing, rust inside the housing, etc, etc.

Kghost, you hungover today?

my guess is the throttle body is rusted. this cable is too new to get damaged by corrosion ..throttle body is exposed more to moisture.

could be carbon also on the throttle plate.

My experience with throttle boddies is, a carbon ring developes in the area of the butterfly and throttle body when it is closed and causes a hard spot when initially opening. My truck motor did this. It is usually caused by backfire/dieseling when combusted gasses back feed through the throttle body. If this is the case then open the butterfly with the control handle in wide open position and get some scotch brite ( fine not course) and some WD 40 and clean it up as best you can. Once the carbon ring is removed the throttle action will be restored to normal. If this is the issue.

"Most" hard throttle/cable issues in boats are "typically" cable/ cable routing or control box issues....

And No I am not hung over but I can not say that about some of the post of late...............

when i hear people say " oh i bought and installed the cable 2-3 years ago can't be that " I say you bought in saltwater one year can mess up a cable.

There are ways to oil a cable, and get the oil all the way thru the cable. Want the link i'll look for it.

when i hear people say " oh i bought and installed the cable 2-3 years ago can't be that " I say you bought in saltwater one year can mess up a cable.

There are ways to oil a cable, and get the oil all the way thru the cable. Want the link i'll look for it.

you are correct on the cable since today most of this crap comes from china ! the old cables lasted decades these don't not any more !

Back