Logo

1998 Bf130 will not start after warm up

RAYCAPE

I have a 1998 BF 130A. This engine runs fine both at idle and cruising.
If you shut it off after use and try to start it 15-20 minutes later it will turn over but will not start. If you wait long enough for it to cool down it will start ok
Engine light comes on for 2 seconds
High pressure fuel pump runs and shuts off. Light goes out.
Checked trouble codes- none
Changed relay- same problem
Grounded LG/R wire to make pump run all the time with key on -no help

Checked spark with timing light - it's ok
Checked vapor seperator- it's ok
Let engine cool down- starts ok
I need help

Re: Bf130 will not start after warm up

This sure sounds heat related. It also sounds like you have covered a lot of the basics.

I assume the relay you changed is the main power relay...

Do you have spark on all cylinders when this problem occurs?

Have you changed spark plugs? One bad plug and cause two cylinders not fire. The timing light still may say there is voltage, but it may be finding its way to ground through something other than the spark plugs. Only use the NGK ZFR7F.

Also, if no spark on two cylinders, one of the coils could be failing from the heat of the engine

Disconnect connectors including those to the ECM and reseat. Make sure all grounds are good and clean.

Check all the connections on the injectors. Pull off the connectors and reseat.

I am sure this is very frustrating...it will turn out to be something simple. It is just finding it that may not be so simple.

Mike

Mike thanks for reply yes I changed the main power relay will check other items you suggested and get back to you thanks //Ray

Mike
I have an update on what I have done.
Changed plugs using NGKZFR7F.
Checked all connectors and reseated.
Checked ECU connectors anad reseated.
Wires andd terminals -no corrosion
Changed fuel filters.
Still have the same problem.
When it will not start it smells like it is flooded.
Let it sit, crank ok.
Do you think I have an ECU problem?
Thanks
Ray

It may be getting flooded if you have no spark.

Could it be the ECU? Maybe. It seems strange that it will run ok until it sits. Although heat will build as it is sitting.

We still do not know for sure if it is spark or fuel that is a problem.

Check for spark when it is running.

Then check for spark when it is not. That way you can be sure your spark test is valid. If you are only checking it when it is not running, your method of checking may not be correct and you will not know it.

It would be good to have a manual to check various resistances, etc.

If you are not getting spark in only a couple of cylinders, check the primary and secondary resistances of the coils. (primary .6 - .72 ohms, secondary 25 - 38 ohms.).

If you are not getting spark to any of the cylinders, check the connection of the pulser coil connections. It is the big tubular shaped connector just above your ECM. Check the wiring all the way to as close as you can get to the pulsers. Check resistance Between gray/white and brown/red (970 ohms 1170 ohms)...betwee orange and brown blue (970 ohms 1170 ohms)

Also, disconnect the black red wire that runs to the back of your key switch and safety landyard. When this wire is grounded by turning the key off or pulling the safety landyard, the engine spark goes away.

There are a few other checks the manual suggests before it suggests to try a known good ECM.

This is where it may be work an analysis charge to take it to a dealer. They may have a test ECM or their District Svc Manager may have one to lend to them.

Mike

Last edited:

Thanks Mike
will check those items you mentioned I do have Clymer shop manual so that helps will be going out of town friday
so you may not hear from me till next week thanks for your help// Ray

One other thing. Check your ground wire from battery to engine. Be sure it's clean, tight and corrosion free. If in doubt, bypass it with a new wire or a good jumper cable. A loose or corroded ground wire can do some weird things when it gets heated up.

Mike
This is an update on what I have done.
Checked spark with timing light when it is running and when it will not start. Spark OK
Checked pulsar coils resistance 1067 ohms.
Checked coil restistance OK
Checked injector restistance hot and cold. OK
Checked injectors with a stethescope hot and cold.Can hear them clicking ok
Disconected lanyard safety switch- same problem.
I am going to check with a dealer and see if they can substitute an ECU.
Ray

If you seem to be getting spark (although a timing light is not absolute) at failure, I would look once again at the fuel. If the injectors are clicking, it might be good to check fuel pressure to be sure there is fuel getting to the rail. There is a small bolt at the right end of the vapor separator. You remove it to install a fuel pressure gauge. You probably do not have a gauge, but it you loosen the screw, fuel should shoot out.

If you can find a substitute ECU, that would take care of a major part of the process.

Mike

Mike is that the bolt on the end of the high pressure pump that you are refering to, this vapor seperator was replaced
by a honda dealer under warranty several years ago so its the model with the fuel pump on the front of the seperator//Ray

When you say that the fuel pump is on the front of the vapor separator, do you mean that it is not inside the vapor separator and is located horizontally below the vapor separator?

If so, that type was supposed to be updated to a newer type (with the fuel pump inside the vapor separator) years ago. They were a cause for a no start. Typically, once it did not start, the fuel pump was toast.

The fuel pressure on those was checked at the base of the fuel rail. If I remember right, it is a scraeder valve.

Mike

Hi guys,
This is in the form of a question, not an answer. I was just wondering what the fuel enrichment strategy for cold start is for this engine? If it is using a cylinder head or coolant temperature sensor and it is out of range when the engine is warm, this could be causing it to add too much fuel and flood after a hot soak. Just a thought.

Hi Mike I checked the pressure at the bolt you indicated for hp fuel at idle it is 34psi and run it up to 2000rpm goes to 35
checked hp regulator per the maint manual by cap off line to manifold and squeezing hose to regulator this boosts pressure
to specs or above, book says replace regulator also checked bleed down after shut off its ok injectors not leaking .this is the
first item that does not meet specs what do you think ////Ray

This will sound a bit off topic, but I had the same problem with my 1983 Honda Prelude. Luckily for me I also had a 1984 Honda Accord. I pulled the ignitor from the Prelude and replaced with the Accord ignitor and problem vanished. When an igniter is starting to fail, it can show up when it gets hot. That the case for lots of electronics. I'm guessing that you have an igniter for this outboard - and it might be failing. Chuckh

The way I read the manual, if the doing what you did to the regulator, if it raises the pressure, it is ok. I did not see where it needs to raise it to spec.

The manual then says to be sure the pump is working properly (check the discharge output volume) and make sure the high pressure fuel filter is not plugged. The pressure does seem to be low, but it is very close to normal. A new high pressure filter might help. If you have the old fuel system, it is the round canister

freeportd may not be "off topic"....the next thing my flow chart suggests after checking injectors is to check the four pin connector to the pulser coil. Then to check the idle air circuit.

The most likely piece of the puzzle to be affected by heat would be the pulser coils. The others do have a play too.

Mike

still having hot start problems thinking vapor lock removed vst and cleand water tank i noticed that the two outlets on tank where tied together via T to the water source no in and out is this normal ?? i did replace the ecu and it still has same problem

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the way the water tubes should be connected. I am assuming your are referring to water tube D and water tube B.

ml.repaw05a.PTB53359 copy.jpg
Hope this makes things more clear.

Mike

Hi Ray here's a pic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32698314@N05/5156992470/

that's of my bf130 right off the side of the vst (sorry didn't have a better wide angle pic i just noticed your questions and remembered i had this).

The center T there to the left runs to the back of the vst I can't remember if that is input or output.

If you needed a better pic i can probably take one and post it lmk

ps ignore the line drawing, that was for another question mike answered for me.

Swade thanks for the pic I am trying to figure out if the bottom hose on the vst tank goes to the T fitting with the pee hole if you could take a pic of that area showing both the bottom hoses where they come up it sure would help me thanks ///Ray

Hi ray,

Yes if it's the one I'm thinking in, the bottom hose coming off the cooling route area behind the vst goes to the top of the t. The bottom of that t is the tattletell and the left of that t goes forward to the other side of the engine to i can't remember what that is..it's right below the water jacket.

CHeck out these see if they help

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32698314@N05/5538298749/in/set-72157626172166219/lightbox/

^^ There the hose i'm *NOT* holding is the one off the bottom and going to the tattletell, that one in the background is the one you're talking about right next to the fuel pump hose) The one i was holding i was just getting out of the way (it's to the top of the vst backside).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32698314@N05/5538868780/in/set-72157626172166219/lightbox/

I put a few more of that area here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32698314@N05/sets/72157626172166219/

Last edited:
I think your best bet for a good picture from Swade. I have not found any really clear photos. I do remember that the instructions that came with the vaporseparator update, had pretty clear pictures. Unfortunately, the instructions were in Japanese. I threw those away. I did so many, I no longer needed the instructions, but I can not for the life of me remember what the bottom hose is connected to.

Mike

ray, also keep in mind that mine is the old style vst/fuel pump, if your's is the newer it could be different. That pic mike posted above is the newer style. I do have the upgrade kit for mine to update it to the newer style vst in a box but i haven't installed it yet, i could check the instructions there maybe to see if i can make out something.

Swade thanks for the help if you can check the instructions or send a pic of the new vst tank hook up it sure would be appreciated thanks for your effort //Ray

Back