Logo

1998 Bf130 will not start after warm up

Hi Ray,

Heh, mike was being generous on the instructions, i can't really make heads no tails of it. But...I can make out from 1 picture that the bottom (coming off the right side) hose of the vst bends down at the same angle as mine, i can't see any reason that doesn't go to the same T..not really any parts being replaced there so I imagine it's the same.

All the kit does is add a h20 separator, switch the vst, and fuel rail and that's about it from what i can tell. so i imagine it's the same

I agree with swade...the water hoses connect to the same places. They are just a little different on the new vapor separator.

Mike

Hi, did you solve this issue? I have the same engine and same issue...is driving me and the family mad....will also start driving the coastguard mad too if we don't get resolved soon!
Many thanks!

telk2001,
Start a new thread and let Ian take a shot at this. He's good but might not see your post as he's not subscribed to this thread.
Be sure to list particulars, especially everything you've already tried to fix it.
Good luck.

Two most common hot start issues are blocked fuel cooler and leaking fuel injector. Leaking fuel injector is easy to check, connect a fuel pressure gauge , without starting the engine, cycle the fuel pump twice, ie turn the ignition on twice for about 5 secs, then see that the pressure holds and doesn't drop, if it drops you more than likely have a leaking injector causing a rich condition at hot start up. Fuel cooler is just a matter of disconnecting hoses and blowing air through them as well as the cooler to ensure there are no blockages. Try these two for starters and as Jimmy said, run us through what you have already checked.

Wheres the fuel cooler on the bf130? Tried to Google to no avail. Haven't tried much as only happened yesterday while out at sea and had to get a tow in to the local mechanic. It actually happened twice yesterday - first time someone stopped by and recommended turning on ignition several times for 5s each ..did it 3 times and it fired up but died straight away, then repeated 6x5s and it started and continued running. We then gave it a 30min cruise at 30knots and it ran beautifully. Stopped for lunch and fishing and never restarted. Interestingly when we turned the ignition on and off when it happened the first time I could hear (in addition to the usual two loud beeps) a click followed by a quiet humming noise (presumably as it sucked in fuel?) then a second click coming from the motor. When it wouldn't start at all after the 30min cruise, the two clicks were present but no humming noise.

Aside from that tried repositioning fuel pipe to ensure flow and also priming while starting. Played around with kill switch (holding out etc) and removing plugs and pushing back in and checking wiring/ wiggling in case of connection issue.

No idea if that helps?!

Sounds like possible main relay issue. Rather than throw parts, get a standard test light, unplug the two pin plug at the fuel pump, connect the test light across the two pins on the harness side and get someone to turn on the ignition. The test light should light up for 5 secs. If it does and the pump isn't running when reconnected, then you have a high pressure pump issue, if not and you can hear an audible click at turn on followed be a second click after 5 secs and no light, then your main relay is faulty. The trick here is to get it to fail first.

Back