Logo

1969 Johnson 6hp idle speed

Dchilds

I have a '69 Johnson 6hp engine that I'm working on restoring. I've replaced the fuel pump, rebuilt the carb and other smaller parts as necessary. I'm able to get it started but it doesn't want to keep idle when I back the throttle off all the way. The motor runs great at higher rpms but I haven't found an idle speed adjustment anywhere to keep it running at idle. What am I missing? Any help or other advice on this little engine is appreciated. Thanks guys,

Derek

Last edited:
That motor doesn't have a kill switch. You kill the motor via reducing the throttle all the way back to stop. Sounds to me like it's just doing what it's supposed to do. It should idle with the twist grip advance to the "slow" area.

So when I start the motor and the entire time it's running, I have to ensure that the cam is engaged with the throttle control on the carb? My twist grip doesn't have any labeling on it so I don't know where these points are on it. Trial and error I guess.

Mine is the same way, I just listen to the engine, after running it for awhile you will know how slow it will go before it stalls. You can add a kill switch if you want to go through the trouble.

Back