Logo

Marinizing a B230 to replace a siezed AQ131A

madmallard

I have been trying without success to free up my engine - used Engine Release, used Rislone, used a different penetrating oil, removed the intake manifold and filled the pistons with ATF (a respected HD mechanic friend suggested this) but all to no avail (so far). So having received great advice (thanks El-Pescador!) about where to get a replacement B230f engine, the next question is what needs to be changed on the auto engine to make it into a safe and sound marine engine. I assume the exhaust and intake manifolds, carb with spark arrestor, distributor, starter and solenoid, alternator, changing to brass frost plugs, mounting the heat exchanger, etc. Anything else? Thanks.

Don't forget the camshaft (the automotive cam won't give you the necessary torque) and the fuel pump. You may also have to replace the valve cover. Also, you don't need brass plugs as the engine will have a closed cooling system.

Thanks - I have a replacement head with cam to go on the engine - bought it in Coombs. Going to get it reconditioned then install it. I will swap out the other parts as required. Chapman Motors here I come.

If you want to free a seized engine after loosening oil fails take of head ,cur a piece of hard wood same size as inside cylinder sit on top of piston and hit wood with a couple pound hammer,keep moving from piston to piston hitting the wood against piston until all free even hit harder each time around when all free turn crank around and soak again with oil ,good luck ,the worst thing could happen is break a ring or piston but you will save a engine.

Last edited:
Yes dennis461 that was a older thread but I just unsiezed an b20 Volvo marine engine that way I wrote to let anyone who may read it looking for help in doing the chore of making there seized engine free and back to life on the lakes again,

Back