Logo

blow by coming out of oil dip stick and pvc valve

jeffsboat

Contributing Member
Ran the starboard engine real hard last weekend. The port engine runs great but the starboard was puffing smoke out of the oil dip stick and when I pulled the pcv valve out of the valve cover it was puffing smoke. After 3 years (same engine that runs 190 F, won't stay at rpms over 3400 once it heats up) of working to get this engine running correct, I may just buy a rebuilt this winter. I can only guess that it has a bad cylinder. This engine was rebuilt before I bought the boat and the marina replaced the head gasket before I took delivery due to issues. Does anyone have any last ideas before I order an engine? I not very disappointed since I got the boat from Ebay for a very good price.
Thanks,
Jeff

That 190 ' F is WAY too hot! I suspect you have a blown head gasket. Do a compression test and see. And DON'T run it anymore 'cause, if you do, the block will be ruined (fire slotted).

Jeff

My owner's manual for my FWC 440 states, "Since these systems can be operated at higher more efficient temperatures without corrosion, normal cruise temperatures will be 160-190 F range. Running temps in excess of 210 indicate need of cooling system maintenance." I hope that you don't have a blown head gasket. Chrysler said your temps are good.

I think you got 318s ,there were some changes to the cooling passages with the head gaskets maybe they put the wrong one on there

I would change the oil first. If running it hard trying to make it match the port side engine he could have been pouring more gas into his engine than his spark was igniting. I have done this before and thinned the oil.

Back