Logo

Water in gas

B

bob kutay

" Have been told I have water

" Have been told I have water in gas . Replaced water separator and added water sorb to gas. Told to rebuild carb --Why? Engine goes to 2000rpm and bogs down. Cap, points wires replaced and they said to rebuild carb . Just wondering why and if treated gas would go thru the rebuilt carb ok. Thanks for any help. Volvo 1986 305. "

"Water in gas usually doesn&#3

"Water in gas usually doesn't cause "bogging" past a certain rpm. Surging, skipping, missing, backfiring and stopping the engine are the most common symptoms. If your engine runs okay below 2000 and bogs above, I'd say the problem isn't water in the gas.

"

" Hi, Just saw this and though

" Hi, Just saw this and thought I would add my situation. I too had water in gas of a 4hp Merc and after draining + fresh gas I could not get it started. Marine shop cleaned carb (they said it was full of gunk)and it ran for a bit. But it continued stopping frequently. I could get it to start almost immediately by choking again. What I would like to know is where I can find a diagram of how I can take the carb apart, clean and replace. -- the email button at the Merc web site did not work or this would be sent to them.
Thanks... "

" Just my two cents. If water

" Just my two cents. If water has been in gas, and caused rust, this may have clogged carb orifices and may(repeat may) cause bogging because of lack of fuel. If the carb has been cleaned and still bogs, then problem is elsewhere.Kim. PS Post the results on this on as I am curious as to the fix. "

" Thanks Kim, it may be a whil

" Thanks Kim, it may be a while before I get to it but I'll post my results. "

Hi
Just wanted to say I ha

Hi
Just wanted to say I had the same problem with water in gas.All mechanics said it was carburation because when you went slow it ran fine and when I pushed down the throttle and the boat changed pitch the water in the gas was sucked into the engine which caused severe coughing and sputtering!I put a litre of METHAL-HYDRATE in the gas and held it to full throttle until it cleared and ran smooth.I do the Methal-Hydrate every Spring for preventive maintainance!

Back