Logo

Slow starting 454

RMS

I have twin 1997 454 XLi's, which I have owned for five years. Recently the starboard engine has become a bit slower to start when cold. Turning the ignition key, the starter doesn't seem to be turning the engine over quickly enough, similar to a weak battery condition. The battery is in good condition, well charged, and I removed the cables at the battery posts to ensure there was no corrosion. Boat has a parallel switch to enable use of the port battery in conjunction with the starboard battery. When using the parallel switch, there is no difference in starting, it still spins slowly. Port engine starts as easily as ever. Once the starboard engine has started, it's fine the rest of the day, restarting as easily as it always did. Any ideas on why the engine would be turning so slowly when cold? What are the symptoms of a dying starter? Thank you, Bob

Before you start replacing parts I would clean the ground contact on the block and the contacts on you battery switch. Don't for the the stud on the starter too. Make sure the terminal ends are clean and not corroded too.

Take a good look at your battery cables and connections. If you want to be sure before you spend any money, swap starters with the other motor and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check all the battery cable connections. Is swapping starters an option? I'm not sure if the reverse rotatation is achieved in the engine or tranny. Bob

Start each engine and see which way the crank pulleys are turning. If they are opposite directions, swapping the starters is not an option.

Voltage drop tests will likely be the easiest way to locate your problem. Using a digital multimeter (DMM), touch one probe to the battery positive terminal (not the wire or connector), then put the other probe on the wire or connector at the same battery post. You should read less than 0.10V across any connection. Anything higher than 0.10V drop and you have too much drop across the connection. Clean the connection, and maybe use some dielectric grease.

Now test the wire itself by touching one probe to the wire or connector you were just at (not the battery post, we already checked that connection), then touch the other probe to the other end of the same wire (or the next connection down that wire). Same deal... if you have more than 0.10V drop, you are losing voltage across the connection. Clean, lube, etc. Continue this test down the line toward the starter, then do the same thing down the ground side back to the battery. You may find a bad connection somewhere. If no problems found, time to look at the starter.

If all of your connections look alright and you decide the starter is the culprit, try cracking it open and cleaning it up first. I just "rebuilt" the starter on my port engine a couple weeks ago with no new parts. Piece of cake (first starter I ever opened up), and it works flawlessly now. It was also easy to flap-wheel the housing and repaint with high-temp Rustoleum while it was apart. Starter looks brand new, works like new, and saved myself some good cash! Red Scotchbrite to clean the brushes and armature, and ultra high temp urea grease on the shaft and bearings was all the parts required for my situation.

Good luck and let us know what you find!

Last edited:
Eric, Thanks for the step-by-step instructions. I'll perform the voltage drop test this weekend and report back. Bob

I had the same problem yesterday - it was a loose nut on my pergo switch connectors. Once i tightened them it started as the other.

Back