Logo

Crusader problems

Gyp Sea

I have a 1973, 33 Egg Harbor that we have restored. I have been fighting some old fuel probems but I think my problem goes deeper than just that. I have run both tanks down and added fresh fuel with Star Tron tank cleaner and put on new Racor fuel filters but my original problem persists. Both engines start and idle fine. I can accelerate up to cruse (32 ~ 3300 RPM) and run fine for 5 ~ 10 minutes and then I loose RPMs on one or the other of my engines. I can lower to 1500 RPMs and run for an hour or two. Any ideas?:(

Hello there, I also have the same poblems with my starboard engine in my 84 Silverton 37C. After reading through all of the posts on this great site I'll tell ya some of the things I'm doing. Try checking the anti siphon valves and the fuel pickup tubes as those seem to be the major gremlin haunting novice boaters like myself. Also check the little filter at the fuel inlet to the carb. Another thing could be the fuel tank vent is clogged. You can check this by running with your fuel filler caps off/loose. I'm sure the pros will have alot more tips for ya so I'll bow out. Good luck, John

All the filters are changed and the vent tube has been checked. I have not checked the anti syphon valve but I do not think so. I can run for an extended period on idle and then only a short time on cruse before it happens to me. Once it happens and I stop and fish for a while then restart I can only go a very short way on cruse. It really appears to be occuring when the engines really get warmed up.

I had similar problems, finally rebuilt the carbs, but I also found that the small filters in the gas line entering the carbs were in need of replacement.

I had the exact same problem on one of my 1996 Crusader 350's (454ci). Both engines could idle flawlessly all day long, and even under load everything was great for about 15 minutes. After about 15 minutes of cruising, the starboard engine would bog down and not go over 2500 RPM's. I replaced the big fuel filters/separators and did not see any "inline" filters as people online kept suggesting. After the problem was still there, I proceeded to buy rebuild kits for the carbs, and it wasn't until I was tearing it apart that I saw the "inline" filter everybody was referring to.

The filter is not exactly in-line as I would think the term suggests. I was picturing a clear filter with a stone or paper element, in-line with the fuel hose somewhere between the tank and the carb. You know, like you would put on a dirtbike, or lawnmower or something. No, the filter rests inside a large fitting on the side of the carb.

If you look where the fuel line goes into the carb, there is a big fitting. I forget, but something like a 1" wrench will get this fitting off, and you will find a little filter. I will almost guarantee it is clogged up. I put the filter in that came with the rebuild kit, and it runs excellent! Took it 100+ miles on a two day Catalina fishing trip with no issues, plus five or more day-trips since, and the problem has not come back.

For all I know, you may have checked these already and your problem may lie elsewhere, but I wanted to clarify MY confusion for you in case you are thinking like I was. =)

Let me know, and good luck!

Back