Logo

8hp Idle problem

fredn56

I recently did a carburetor cleaning with the dip cleaner, but the motor will not idle well. Starts fine and runs fine at higher speeds. Biggest problem is the engine dies at lower rpms when I want to change gears.
8hp 4 stroke.
I suspect I had old gas in previously; now I run the gas out.
Also I was told to clean the "emulsion tube" but I could not locate anything by that name on the parts list.

Any suggestions?

I assume you have an 8A3. Depending on date of purchase, you may still be in warranty, though carb damage from fuel is not covered by the warranty. Probably still needs a good carb cleaning. The Emulsion Tube is referred to as the "Main Nozzle" in the parts catalog. Did you completely disassemble all jets and the nozzle before the carb dip? Was it soaked for 4 hours? Was there any evidence of water/alcohol corrosion? Is the passageway at the idle pilot screw absolutely clear? Is the idle stop screw adjusted correctly?

Yes, it is an 8A3.
Yes, I disassembled those parts but soaked for 2 hours.
What would water/alcohol corrosion look like? Discoloration mostly?
I am new at this, so much of this terminology is unfamiliar to me.
Are spark plugs a possible cause of this?
The engine is 2 years old.
Is the "idle pilot screw" the one with the spring?
The manual shows "pilot screw" and "throttle stop screw"
How is correct adjustment determined?

The aluminum oxides are a white powdery residue.
Spark plug condition would be a result of carburetion, not a cause. We usually change 4-stroke plugs annually, as needed. It all depends on plug condition.
The pilot screw is concealed behind the EPA-mandated plug. The tip of it would barely be visible once the top cover is removed from the carb.
The idle stop screw is used with a tach to set idle speed. if set too low, of course the motor will stall.

Since you are asking these questions, you may want assistance from a more-experienced mechanic. Try a more thorough soaking in a good dip cleaner such as Tyme, then blowing everything out with garden-variety carb spary. If that is not successful, your best bet will be to get to a dealer.

Gave the carb a more thorough soaking. Replaced the spark plugs
Starts fine, idles ok.
Now the engine dies at high rpms when in gear.
any new ideas?

thanks,

fred

Sounds like you still have a fuel problem. If the motor "stumbles" when coming off idle, you still have a lean condition, probably still a restriction in the low-speed carb circuit. If it's a European motor, there is an accelerator pump "plunger" in the carb that may have a problem.

If, on the other hand, the motor starts and runs well at low speeds, accelerates OK, but seems to "run out of gas" at higher speeds, you may have an air leak in the fuel line (anywhere from the pickup in the tank to the fuel pump), or you could have a restricted fuel filter, or possibly a weak fuel pump. Either way, it would be starving for fuel. You can test for a too-lean condition by adding a bit of choke... if it's too lean, slight choking will improve the condition. If so, you are still not getting enough fuel.

Back