Logo

Honda B75

edevon

I have a "70s" B75 which starts and runs well when warm but is very difficult to start when cold. ( Lots of pulling). Any suggestions?

All of the following is based on what you say...that the engine runs good after it starts.

This engine has its carburator on its side and it dumps fuel into the engine. Depending on how you are starting it, you may be flooding it.

All engines have a unique way that they like everything to be set to start quickly. Try the following and see if it helps.

If it is flooding, you will probably smell fuel.

Try starting this way and adjust as needed.....

Make sure the fuel bulb has been squeezed until it is hard.

Do not pull the choke out. Advance the throttle as far as you can (may be limited when in neutral). Disregard the start marks on the tiller handle if any are still there.
Try to start. If it does not hit in two or three pulls...

Then give it about 1/2 choke, keep the throttle advanced and try again. If it does hit, push the choke in rather quickly, so it does not flood. If it does not start in two or three pulls...

Then pull the choke out all the way (by the way, make sure the linkages are actually moving the choke lever on the carburator). Keep the throttle advanced and try again. As previously mentioned, if it does hit, push the choke in rather quickly.

The motor should start right up on one of these combinations, as long as the throttle and choke linkages actually move the appropriate levers on the carburator.

Mike

Mike, Many thanks for suggestions which I will try. The last time I tried I examined the plugs and they appeared dry but I will try the various combinations.

Regards Peter.

Just checked a B75 that we have on display...

You will not be able to advance the throttle very much in neutral. Just advance it as far as you can. It you put it at the start position, the carb does not open at all. Just check under the hood and make sure when you advance the throttle, you can see the lever on the carb move...if only a little...it needs to move some. Otherwise, adjust it until it does.

Mike

Back