Logo

41A tachometer not working

pez espada

My Tachometer stopped working. It first started flickering and then finally stopped completely. I bought a new one and have power to it, hour meter reads 00 and rpm needle is not moving after 15 hours of running. I checked all connections at the alternator. Not sure what to do next. Please help.

Thanks in advance, Zack

If you sure that connection and power is correct! then I think it would be small thing:
New Tachometer is used for many engine model so it need to set code to working for each model. If you buy new one from Volvo Penta system. You will find instruction paper for connection and code setting in its box ( use a pin to press in the small hole in rear of tachometer).
Also check speed sensor for any faulty.
hope that can help!

Check continuity between "W" connection on alternator to the tacho. If that checks out OK, get the alternator tested as the W connector is simply a phase tap and could have gone open circuit.

Problem solved. Went through entire wiring system from alternator to tach. Thought it may have been the tach so I bought a new one. Same problem. Took my tuned up in May alternator back to the shop and after several trips back and forth found a short in the tach terminal on the alternator. Installed fixed alternator, fired her up and Walla, problem solved. Lessons I learned was. Volt meters can be faulty and mechanics with the best intentions can sometimes miss-diagnose. Thanks for all the input, Zack

Back