Logo

teleflex gas gauge

sharkin95

Regular Contributor
I was comming back in when my gas gauge pegged at empty.I have a 3/4 tank of fuel left.Fuel sensor or the gauge? Mercruiser 4.3 6 cyl. w/Alpha 1

To do a quick check on gas guage,

With the key in the on position, if you very quickly touch (do not hold it on just a touch) the S terminal to the GROUND terminal with a paper clip the guage should peg to full and return to zero. If it does than the guage is most likely ok,

check the gas sending unit on the tank and see if the ground wire came off or is corroded. the gas sending wire is PINK, the ground is black.

The sending unit is a variable resistor, ~ 80 to 240 ohms, this can be checked with the wires disconnected. if you get a reading say 160 ohms at the sending unit reconnect the wires and then disconnect at the guage and check the pink and ground wires for the same reading, if it is not the same then maybe a broken wire...

I have seen the sending unit itself looses it ground connection between the metal components thus the resistor has no ground path so be very carefull and look closely. use a good ohm meter and make shure all gounds, and other connections are solid and clean.

Back