Logo

alfred

New to diesels and just purchased a boat with twin 3208 naturals 210hp. Took it home from New Haven to Point Judith last week. For the first hour and a half, we were just running at 1500 RPMs. When the person onboard with me asked to go down below, we brought the engines down to idle. The port kicked out and has not been able to start since unless we start her with starter fluid. I know not a good idea. Also the boat was sitting for almost 4 years with about 25 gallons of old fuel in that tank. we topped her off and found that that old fuel needed to be polished. That was done last week and still no luck. Yesterday, we bled the lines and hit it with a shot of starter fluid and she ran for over a half an hour and sounded pretty good. I was able to rev her up but never took her below 1K rpms. Once I did, she kicked out. Started right back up on her own but stalled when I tried to rev her. Any advice would be helpful. My close friend said no more starter fluid.

I don't know what polishing is, but I know bad fuel and Cat sleeve-metering fuel systems don't mix.

The injection pump on a 3208 is entirely fuel lubricated. Poor lubricity or water in the fuel can destroy the injection pump.

Water in the fuel will rust the fuel racks into the fuel on position and cause a run away engine.

The 3208's nickname is "The Grenade" due to this possibility.

Instead of starter fluid, use a towel soaked in gasoline, hold over the intake and cranck. Let her start by absorbing the gasoline vapors. Do not let the towel get sucked into the turbo.

I recomend removing all fuel from tank, refilling it fresh, replacing all fuel filters and priming the pump with fresh fuel. After that adjust your valves to 0.025 at exhaust and 0.015" intake at TDC. Do not run that engine with loose valves.

Make sure your turbo is spinning freely.

Cjeck your injection pump adjustment as well.

Sounds like you need a good mechanic.

Back