Logo

1990 20hp evinrude problem

catangler

Ok gentlemen, I'm stumped on this one I have a 20 horse rude that runs like a champ till I get to half throttle then it just bogs down badly. In the last two weeks i have replaced the fuel tank all the fuel fittings and hoses rebuilt fuel pump cleaned carb pretty good then and now put a carb kit in and there is no change wat so ever in the motor its a pull start fires up in 1 pull does a superb job till i get past half throttle. this is not the first time for me to do carbs (first outboard though) so i knows its clean in my eyes. I have not done a compression check yet nobody i know around here can do it and was wondering is there a way for me to do it wat do i need? if not is there any insight wat might be wrong I know of no boat mechanics in my area so im shadetreeing this project If anybody has any ideas plz shoot em at me

Ok gentlemen, I'm stumped on this one I have a 20 horse rude that runs like a champ
till I get to half throttle then it just bogs down badly. In the last two weeks i have replaced
the fuel tank all the fuel fittings and hoses rebuilt fuel pump cleaned carb pretty good then and now put a carb kit in
and there is no change wat so ever in the motor its a pull start fires up in 1 pull does a superb job till i get past half throttle
. this is not the first time for me to do carbs (first outboard though) so i knows its clean in my eyes.
I have not done a compression check yet nobody i know around here can do it and was wondering
is there a way for me to do it wat do i need? if not is there any insight wat might be wrong I know
of no boat mechanics in my area so im shadetreeing this project If anybody has any ideas plz shoot em at me

You need to start with the basics, compression and spark test. Most auto parts carry compression testers, and an air gap spark checker. The spark should jump a 7/16" gap and be bright blue. If those check out you most likely have a fuel delivery problem. Try pumping the primer bulb when it happens, if it picks up you have a fuel pump problem. When you cleaned your carb did you remove the high speed jet and clean it?

Back