Logo

Late 70's 7.5HP sears gamefisher how to fill lower unit? Vent is BELOW fill!!

dazk14

Contributing Member
Air cooled sears outboard with forward neutral gearcase.

The oil fill is ABOVE vent screw, which is on the opposite side - yes, vent is below fill.

Both are clearly marked - VENT and FILL!

I thought I heard that you lay the engine on its side and fill it that way.

I suppose it could also work doing it upside down but it's strange that the fill and vent are on opposite sides?

I have a factory eska manual and it does NOT indicate how to fill the forward/neutral gearcase.

Any help is appreciated!!

Last edited:
Position of the motor won't matter. If you are going to use a plastic squeezable oil tube such as sold at most auto stores then with the fill screw in place remove the vent screw. Put your oil tube tip in the vent opening and remove the fill screw. Squeeze the oil tube until the oil runs out of the fill screw hole then put the fill screw back in. Re-install the vent screw. You will loose some oil but if the unit is sealed well the loss will be not enough to matter. Not any different if you are using a more professional style oil pump that screws into the opening. By the way the OMC motors fill from the bottom front of the unit and fill until oil comes out the side screw. Just a matter of how the maker decided to put the screws and passages together and how to name them.

Back