Logo

Overheat Alarm 1989 60hp

fermdog69

Hi All, I'm new to the forum. I'm sure this topic has been covered many times, but I'm totally stumped by my problem. I have a 1989 Johnson 60hp J60tlcea VRO outboard. It has been an awesome motor for the last 10 years. I put in a new water pump and thermostat just this past spring. Now I blow the overheat alarm and it dumps me down to S.L.O.W. mode every time I'm at wide open throttle for more than a couple minutes. The tell tale is strong and luke warm. My temp gun reads 150 - 170 on the cylinder heads and mid 140s on the thermostat housing. I've dropped the lower unit and have checked the water pump and checked the thermostat in boiling water to make sure it opens. I changed the temp. sensor near the thermostat and it still does it. If I unplug the temp. sensor the alarm stops. I don't know what normal operating temp should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated...
progress.gif

Re: Overheat Alarm

Your temp reading are good, are these being taken after the alarm or before? if before take them as soon as it alarms. and let us know the temp.

Re: Overheat Alarm

I'm taking the temp readings as soon as the overheat alarm comes on and the s.l.o.w mode kicks in. This is what's making me scratch my head. I'm not sure about normal operating temps, but these temps don't seem too hot to me. The new temp sensor that I installed is a solid light brown or tan lead. Of course, I didn't save the box it came in so I'm not sure about the part number...

Back