Logo

50 Merc Blue Band, trouble after not opening fuel tank valve.

alexbaum

I would really appreciate some advice. I have a 50 hp Blue Band, 4 cylinder. After having it repaired (electrical problem, the stator was replaced), it has been running well. However I forgot to open the fuel valve and it stopped. Since then it has been unable to idle and is not giving full power. Have taken the carb that I thought was blocked off, checked the plugs and run some Quick Silver through it, but it still runs rough. Can anybody suggest something obvious that might have been the result of not opening the fuel tank valve and collapsing the plastic tank?

I suggest you pull both carbs and do a through rebuild on them. Be sure to blow out all the passages. I bet you got some dirt loose with the vaccum created and sucked it in the carbs when you released it. Do you have an inline fuel filter? If not, might be a good idea to install one while your at it.

Thanks pilot481, I have taken the carb that I thought was the faulty one off and blown through but unfortunatly no obvious bits! Would'nt life be easier if things where straight forward just some of the time, the inline filter will be next on my list but I think I'll take the other carb off tomorrow and hope thats there's something in there, you would'nt know if the diaphram covered by the blue plastic cover would have any thing to do with it? Wondering if the suction might have damaged it?

the blue plastic part (fuel inlet) covers the fuel screen, if that screen is missing and you have no other fuel fitler, then I am real sure dirt in the carbs is your problem. YOU MUST DISSASEMBLE both carbs completely and blow out all the tiny passages. Those gaskets and the rubber fuel pump diaphram are kinda of confusing at first. Study a diagram and be triple sure you have them in the right order. If your not up to rebuilding the carbs yourself, find someone who is. Its real easy to mess up and a pain in the hiney to need to do it all over again..........

Back