Logo

1988 1.2 hp evinrude junior

captain howl

i have a 1988 evinrude 1.2 junior that is new to me, in fact its my first outboard engine,i have already flushed the tank,disassembled the carb just in case it was varnished up found out it was not to bad, stuck float and needle valve,cleaned it flushed fuel passages,now i need to know how to set the 2 needle jets the one on top didn't have a knob when i got it so i use the bottom one for both for right now,iset the bottom srew back where it was about a little more than half a turn out and the top screw is out one full turn,yes i understand that these needles are for slow and fast carb settings.i'm concerned about the water pump it has been sitting in a small garage for sometime, should i oil it some how, i plan to test run it in a barrel today,should i see a stream of water from a upper port somewhere on the engine or shaft.thanks any info would be apreciated

Re: 1.2 hp evinrude junior

(Carburetor Adjustments - Two Adjustable N/Vs)
(J. Reeves)

Initial settings are: Bottom high speed = seat gently, then open 1 turn out. Top slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Setting the high and low needle valves properly:

NOTE: For engines that DO NOT have a shift selection, obviously there is no NEUTRAL position. Simply lower the rpms to the lowest setting to obtain the low speed needle valve adjustment.

(High Speed) Start engine (it will run pretty rough), shift into forward gear, take up to full throttle. In segments of 1/8 turn, waiting for the engine to respond between turns, start turning in the bottom high speed needle valve. You'll reach a point whereas the engine will either start to die out or spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the needle valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest setting.

(Low Speed) Slow the engine down to where it just stays running. Shift into neutral. Again in segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the top needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back. Again, at that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustments, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

How has the Junior been running for you? I'm having trouble with mine and I think a good carb cleaning/rebuild is probably in order.

Which plug are you using and at what gap?

The original plug recommended (1986) was RJ6J I'd guess that the original gap specified would have been 0.040"

From 1989 the plug specified was RJ6C

The current recommendation remains RJ6C. The current recommendation for the gap is 0.030" but I do not recall when the gap recommendation was changed or why.

The old RJ6J plugs are no longer available having been superseded by the "copper plus" design RJ6C

To my knowledge (which may be flawed :)), the gap change took place at some point in the late 1990s. The change to the smaller .030 gap was to to prolong the plug life from what I understand.

i have a 1988 evinrude 1.2 junior that is new to me, in fact its my first outboard engine,i have already flushed the tank,disassembled the carb just in case it was varnished up found out it was not to bad, stuck float and needle valve,cleaned it flushed fuel passages,now i need to know how to set the 2 needle jets the one on top didn't have a knob when i got it so i use the bottom one for both for right now,iset the bottom srew back where it was about a little more than half a turn out and the top screw is out one full turn,yes i understand that these needles are for slow and fast carb settings.i'm concerned about the water pump it has been sitting in a small garage for sometime, should i oil it some how, i plan to test run it in a barrel today,should i see a stream of water from a upper port somewhere on the engine or shaft.thanks any info would be apreciated

Hello Sir,

I have the same Evinrude Junior from 1987. I cleaned it up and started it. It runs good but does not throw water jet from any where could you help me how I could check this. Should I run it for more than 10 mts before I see water runnung out from the 4 holes on the shaft. Please help me.
You may please reply to my email address so that when I am on and about can check it on my phone. My email address is: [email protected]. Your kind help is very much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards.

Mani Gandham.

Hello Sir,

I have the same Evinrude Junior from 1987. I cleaned it up and started it. It runs good but does not throw water jet from any where could you help me how I could check this. Should I run it for more than 10 mts before I see water runnung out from the 4 holes on the shaft. Please help me.
You may please reply to my email address so that when I am on and about can check it on my phone. My email address is:[email protected]. Your kind help is very much appreciated.

Thanks and Regards.

Mani Gandham.

Back