Logo

Thinking of Changing Boats and Looking for Feedback

chuckhanson

Regular Contributor
I know this is off topic but I value the feedback of several of you experts. I am thinking of buying a 44 DeFever Long-Range Cruiser with two 135 HP Ford Lehman engines. The engines and Borg Warner transmissions have about 3200 hours. Do any of you have any red flags or words of encouragement for me. I am planning on changing my style of boating after 22 years of great boating in my Gibson 50' with 2X454 CID Crusaders. I am going to do some off shore cruising and the Gibson won't go there.

Thanks,

Chuck Hanson

YES! I have heard that there is some expert out there that has a list of most Lehmans by serial number, and still offers advice on these old engines. Does the "new" boat have or need stabilizers? Off shore, meaning ocean, will expose you to long, slow passages with roll. 3200 hours, in itself, is not much time on those lightly loaded engines. Good engine room space, great mileage, all pluses.

Chuck:

You can check on the Lehman board here, at ME.com....not a lot of activity but I'd expect that. DD's thought on the stab's is a good one as a 44' hull isn't much when you find that swell.

I'd only be concerned if the survey showed something. Keep plenty of filters and change them regularly and you should be fine. Make sure you get a wireless connection so you can keep us up to date as you travel the blue waters.

Chuck,
Check the fuel tanks. We have had a few older model trawlers with steel tanks that started to leak. The Lehmans are easy to work on. As you cruise through Mobile Bay and East stop in Pensacola. We always have cold ones!

Thanks for the comments thus far. The two boats I am considering both have stabilizers. One is located close to Pensacola. What marina is close to Lillian, AL that can provide haul out service, arrange for a survey and do a botton job?

Thanks again,

Chuck

I like Trawlers and one day will own one. Here is a great source for information, I assume there are many with the Ford engines, and the boat.

Here is today's topics I get via email:

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://lists.samurai.com/mailman/listinfo/trawlers-and-trawlering
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
[email protected]

You can reach the person managing the list at
[email protected]

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Trawlers-and-Trawlering digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Thanks List (Greg Bowers)
2. Volvo Engine Question
3. Re: Volvo Engine Question
4. Re: racor filter odors (Keith)
5. Re: racor filter odors
6. Re: Reversing engines, long
7. Mooring hookup pic
8. Re: Volvo Engine Question
9. Direct drive engines (small boat)
10. Re: Volvo Engine Question
11. Direct reversing engine - revisited
13. Re: racor filter odors
14. Re: Email Account Hacked & Email Scam
15. Re: racor filter odors
16. Re: Volvo Engine Question
17. racor filter odors
18. Re: racor filter odors
19. Public WiFi security
20. Re: Public WiFi security
21. Re: Public WiFi security
22. Re: Public WiFi security
23. Re: racor filter odors
24. Help support Trawlers & Trawlering List!
25. Re: racor filter odors
26. Re: racor filter odors
27. Re: Volvo Engine Questio
28. Re: Thanks List
29. ventilator openings in pre 1982 Taiwan Trawlers

30. Increasing oil consumption on a Lehman 120 after replacing
oil lines.

Chuck,
We have a few marinas that do haul outs. We use Pelicans Perch Marina on Bayou Chico. It is about a two hour boat ride from the Lillian bridge at trawler speed (long no wake zone).
Our company can take care of all of your needs once you get hauled out. Bottom job, blister repair, zincs, prop tunning, detailing. Let me know. I can even go look at the boat and give you a real 'second set of eyes' report before you invest the time to travel down here.

Back