Logo

'78 LM318 Electronic Ignition Coil Part #????

Dollarbill

The mounting strap has worn part of the numbers off of both ignition coils and I have one cracked and leaking and I need to replace it.

I can only make out Prestolite CCC 400 ????? 5-49

Any good part numbers out there?

With internal resistor or without?

Thanks!!!

Here's the hot setup for Chrysler ignition: Buy a 45,000 volt, full 12 volt hot rod coil from Jegs or Summit Racing (on line). Then go to NAPA and buy a part # ICR11 ballast resistor. Wire it in line (using bolted terminals. not spades that can fall off) and your motor will run great. Don't leave out the resistor or the coil will fry if you accidentally leave the ignition ON (as I did recently. Eight hours plus and the motor still runs okay.) This setup made a pair of 360s run better than they they did from the factory!

Jeff

I can do that over the winter... but trying to get running over the weekend. All I have near me is O'reilly etc stores.. they can order a Sierra parts but that will take 5 days. They have 12V coils that they say will work. But...With resistor or without resistor? I would assume that since the 318 EI has a ballast ... without...

Now for the project.... where did you mount the terminal block?

Thanks...

Just to get her going, get a coil that requires an external resistor and hook it up with the stock ballast resistor.

I bolted the NAPA part to the same spot as the Mopar resistor, with the same bolt.

Jeff

Back