Logo

water leak on DP-A spindle arm

quint

Contributing Member
Hello all, I have water dripping from the bottom of my spindle arm. I saw that there is a bushing and some seals on the steering fork assembly and trim sender unit based on the schematic print out I have for my DP-A. Anyone else ever have this issue and what was the fix? I don’t think the drip will sink the boat(a couple pints of water in a few days) so I am wondering if I can hold out the season until the boat is pulled out in Octoberish. I was going to pump more grease into the fitting on the spindle arm and try to pack some more by hand around and underneath the arm...or is this something that needs to be addressed ASAP which will mean being hauled out.

Your collar steering fork may have dropped down some, and/or the V-ring seal has gone bad.... or, a combination of both.
You will need to remove the transmission, loosen the pinch bolt, drop the fork down and out!
You may as well replace the two bushings along with the V-ring seal.
I am in the habbit of gluing the V-ring seal onto the top area of the fork.
The actual V-ring lip should be greased between the lip and transom shield.

Yes, a haul out is very likely in order.
Lots of other items that you can replace at the same time; Water neck fitting/gasket, drive bellows, bearing crosses, shift mech seal, and so on.
I'd make the time on the hard pay for itself.
Two birds, same stone!

Thanks ricardo. I was looking @ the VP factory repair manual and it seems there is quite a few specialty tools to remove/assemble the steering fork which I don't have. Are they necessary? Also how do you undo the pinch bolt on the steering? It seems like the metal has to bent back and it isn't thin metal that looks easy to bend...special tool?

Last edited:
Back