Logo

problem with volvo 36hp deisel, 3 cylinder

newfyneil

hello, im new to this forum and new to deisel engines. was told this is the place to find the experienced people.

i just bought a 22' cabin cruiser with a 36 volvo deisel, she runs nice at around 2300 RPM, if i push her further, RPM does not increase, but she puts out black smoke from her wet exhaust. any ideas what is wrong, or if theres any more info i can provide,, id surely try my best. thanks for any help you can provide....

Hey Newfyneil,
I don't know Volvo fuel systems but I do know Diesels. Sounds like timing advance. Is it electronic injection or mechanical advance?

i have no idea, it seems to be an older engine,, the boat was built in 2004 from plan from florida,, to be quite honest,, i only know what i was told. i was thinking about that last night,, will try to find more info today, a number or something marked on the engine.

unfortunatly, i cant seem to find anyone in this area that knows much about deisel engines either,, im sure there are people, but i just retired back here after 25 years in toronto.
thank you shebib, i will do my best to look into the timing, and if there is anyway you can help with this or the actual determination of what exactly this engine is,, i would be grateful. again thanks for trhe response.

there should be a plate on port side of eng. with ss# and model # did you change the fuel filters black smoke fuel problem i'm not sure if that small of eng. would have a turbo charger on it if it does it could be a bad turbo

i just had a guy look at it,, its leaking a little fuel, and seems to not be firing right on one cylinder,, he thinks its the injector,, im off to get a spare engine tomorrow,, ill surly let you know how it works out.. thanks guys...

goody, ill take a look asap buddy..thank you

i think, this is the engine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=119WmZWw1kQ

Diesels are pretty simple. Black smoke means too much fuel (rich mixture), not enough air(rich mixture) or bad timing. The first suspects would be fuel and air filters. After these are eliminated, check turbo(if equipped) to see if it spins freely. Marine engine exhaust tend to clog due to barnicles and rust. No exhaust = too much fuel/not enough air. The next step is to pull injectors and have them tested at a diesel shop. They usually test them for free. After all this is said and done, you may have too much load on the engine. Fouled bottomed or too much pitch on the prop. The next item is the injector pump. Simple right?

lol, hopefully, i got a new injector,, and im off tomorrow to get a spare engine,, ill stop at the deisel shop on the way to get injectors set,ive downloaded a manual,, only thing i can see to set is the angle and/or opening.. got those numbers marked down,, hopefully thats all the info i need..ill try to get new filters tomorrow aswell, plus stuff for oil change

wet exhaust is free, i checked,, im thinking to much fuel due to improper firing of one cylinder because of bad injector,, hopefully im right.. engine is 55 years old apparently,, so i doubt if turbo,, but this is all learning experience to me,lol.. thanks for the advice everyone

finally got the injectors, couldnt get them set though, the deisel shop doesnt set them, they send them to another place to get them set..350 kms away..

you guys figure the new one is set already??? i seem to think it should be,, anyone of you experienced guys know????

thanks again...

chaged injector,, still not firing,, must be compression, although there was no way that injector was vapourizing the fuel, ill check compression tomorrow, ive also come to find out the injectors that are i9n her are from a yanmar,they drilled holes in pennies and screwed them in on these,, the diameter of the nozzle holder is a bit smaller, i guess they use the pennies to stop any leaking?????

Back