Logo

1998 4.3 Hard Starting- cold or hot

mike1970

HellI have a 1998 4.3 alpha, rwc 4bbl carb. It runs fine, have had a few issues but thanks to this forum, i have been able to fix them. Now I have a new problem, it is hard to start either hot or cold. Had this problem last year, took it to the marina, they rebuilt the carb, and replaced the sensor in the distributor. It worked perfect until last week, started right up- no problems. Now it is very hard to start, unless you shut it down and start it back up right away. Also seems to be running a little rich. Could the carb be the problem aven though it was just rebuilt? I have used it no more than 5 times since the work was done.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Did you check your spark plugs? My 4.3 mer/alpa one was supper hard to start, then the first thing I done was put new plugs in it eventhough the plugs looked good. It fires up like a brand new motor....every time. good luck

remove the plugs all and inspect for condition report your findings.
the fuel system/fuel needs to be maintained. have you replaced the fuel filters at the start of the season? do you use on every fuel filling add stabilizer ? you don't use this too much , you must use the fuel treatments on filling the tank ..the carb fuel system will get damaged quickly if not.

the choke on hard engine start issues , is also a cause , because of inactivity this does get sticky..

Back