Logo

Merc 1990 20 hp remote control conversion help

Guitonudo

Hi there

Im new here, and i need some help... i have a 1990 20Hp mercury with side tiller shift, and i want to convert it to remote... any ideas? does anyone know if there is a kit or anything similar? thanks in advance!!!

Re: Merc 20 hp remote control conversion help

Get ahold of a Merc dealer and tell them you want a "remote attaching kit" - they sell for about $125 or so and give you all the parts and pieces to remove the tiller handle assembly and re-rig to handle shift and throttle cables from a control.

You will also need a control (shifter). If you are going new a Quicksilver 2000 series is about as fancy as you need. Count on maybe $250 for that. Of course you can go used. Any Quicksilver (Merc) control will work as will a number of US Marine or other aftermarket (Seadog etc) which can be adapted for a number of brands. Then you will need a pair of cables - about $35 each.

If it's not electric start now and you want to go that route, for $275 Merc also has a kit to convert that includes the charge stator for the battery as well as the starter, rectifier, and odds/ends for under the hood - and don't forget the cost of a battery plus the cost for a harness and keyswitch unless the control you select is equipped.

That will take care of the controls. If you don't currently have a steering system, then for between 100-200 bucks Teleflex and Uflex both sell "steering in a box" kits that contain everything including the steering wheel. You will need a mount and a rod to connect the motor to the steering system - likewise, Merc sells that as a kit or you can jury rig it up yourself with an aftermarket rod (Merc's expensive).

Even if you want to troll the internet for parts, you are best to get to a Merc dealer and get a list of the part numbers for the kits/components - these are "add-on's" so they are not contained in the regular parts list for the model so I can't help you with the part numbers.

In any event, count on upwards of $500 for a simple conversion and maybe $1000 if you want to add electric start and go a little fancy with the shifter - of course, that's doing all the rigging work and parts refit yourself...

Back