Logo

New Distributors, Different Timing Advance

jumpin

I just installed two new Pertronix D200800 Distributors in my 1987 big block Crusaders. At idle they both read 10 degrees B.T.D.C., but at 3200 rpm's the Starboard engine advance is 29 degrees and the Port engine is 23 degrees. I have set up both distributors the same. In you folk's opinions, why could I be getting these different advance readings from the same New distributors? I am contacting Pertronix this morning for different set up options for the Port motor which I hope will allow for more advance. Is there anything else I could be missing? Thanks as always, this site has helped me tackle and achieve more in the last six months than I ever thought I could!

The springs on one are a bit stiffer--it happens. See if you can stretch one of the springs with some needle nose pliers. Don't overdo it and you'll be all set.

Jeff

Their www site states they come "with a factory set performance curve, a mechanical advance limiting adjustment.... ".

I'd verify the mechanical stops are set to yield the same value. The stop will cap the total advance, the springs will change the rate (slope of the timing curve when plotted against RPM).

Back