Logo

'75 OMC Stringer 225 hp Lift trouble

Geez I was just thinking the same thing. What protects the OD if you hit something ? But you're right tho' we used to have to put those clutch plates together with a press and then put that good old snap ring on. But you're right here, due to it's age those plates or discs could be worn and slipping. I'd like to be there to see exactly what is going on.

You are 100% right about the pack slipping. Due to the age of the unit it's very possible. I don't have any manuals, but wasn't there a spec out there where if you had the proper tool and a torque wrench you could check the break away slippage of the unit after you assembled it? I think they were checking the break away torque if you hit something. But I may be all wrong.

I am pretty sure its not the clutch pack that is causing the problem, as mine is the adjustable one and it goes in the down direction just fine but to go up it needs a little help.

I am wondering if it will work differently in the water.

I have taken the clutch pack apart many times and also have re-machined the surfaces and re-grooved them.

I also have tried the oil and the grease method.

I tried looking to see if I could add a gas strut to boost it but the min/max stroke will not accomodate mounting anywhere.

I am pretty sure I have gone through everything and short of a $1000 bill at a repair shop with the same results I am not ready to take it anywhere.

Snocat

Last edited:
take that second roll pin out and put washers in to shim the worm gear to min. end play the end play is why your drive slammed your plug out also take a dremmel and sharpen up the retaining groove for the snap ring someone probably messed it up digging it out with a screw driver.dont mess up your shim pack if your drive will stay in the up position its fine.I have the same problem w my drive going up do it while the boat is in the water w the engine running.that i think you will have to live with.good luck.

Back