Logo

Yamaha 115hp V4 -1999 dies at throttle/idle

Mortex

Hello!

I've had a few problems with my outboard. It's a Yamaha 115hp V4 - 99mod.

What happened the day it stopped working I started it as usual. It went just fine at idle, then I accellerated I got 100 meters then the engine lost all it's power and then I died. I tried to start it again, but it was barely any reaction. Started almost, then choked itself.

Then I did some troubleshooting, but couldn't really find any obvious reasons why it suddenly died. I thought maybe it was some spark issues, but I think the ignition is OK. Then the day after, I tried to start it again. But now it wouldn't start at all. Just almost start, then died. We changed all spark plugs, then it started and went perfect at idle. Even when I tried to give full throttle at idle it went up to 5k RPM without any problems. But once I put in in gear, it just *bluuurph*, almost no reaction. Then I pressed the auto choke, and *VROOOOM* went perfekt. Then I let go of the choke, and it slowly died again, but it didn't stop completely. Just went at 600 RPM at full throttle. I did this test over and over again, and it was repeatable. When I used choke, it went perfect.

Then I and the guy I had with me, though: "It doesn't seem like it gets enough fuel." So we checked the fuel hose and all the connections, but it was OK. Then we decided to check the fuel pump, to see if it was OK. But honestly, we don't know if it is OK.

I dismantled the fuel pump and I noticed.. There are 2 very thin aluminum-"things" (don't know the name of them) in each chambers inside the fuel pump. Then.. One of those, in each chamber was not 100% tight. When you pressed them, you could hear a "click". There is a small gap between them - not much, but maybe it is enough for the pump to stop working correctly?

Anyways. I mounted the fuel pump back together, mounted it back on the engine. Then I tried to start the engine again, but now... I wouldn't even go normal at idle. It started, but died after just a few seconds. Not even giving throttle at idle worked. I will check the mounting of the fuel pump tomorrow, just to be sure it's mounted correctly.

It seems like the pump is in bad shape? Or can it be something else that **** it up? Maybe some inpuriPlease. Let me hear some of your experiences. It's a long ride to the nearest outboard repair shop, so I try to do as much as I can before I capitulate, and take it to the repair shop :D

And... If there is anything you want to ask me, that may help you to help me, just shout :)

Re: Yamaha 115 V4 -99 dies at throttle/idle

How old is the gas? Has the boat been sitting for a long time in between use? Sounds like a fuel problem. Bad gas or a carbuertor problem. Rule out bad gas by hooking up a portable gas tank with fresh gas to the engine. If this doesn't work, you may need to clean or rebuild the carbs.

Re: Yamaha 115 V4 -99 dies at throttle/idle

How old is the gas? Has the boat been sitting for a long time in between use? Sounds like a fuel problem. Bad gas or a carbuertor problem. Rule out bad gas by hooking up a portable gas tank with fresh gas to the engine. If this doesn't work, you may need to clean or rebuild the carbs.

The gas is not old at all. It happened all of a sudden. I am now dismounting the carburetor to see if there are any inpurities.

I have the same motor and mine did that all of a sudden. Turned out to be the ignition wire behind the key switch, it was just a little bit loose. Make sure all of those screws are tight.

Hello!

I've had a few problems with my outboard. It's a Yamaha 115hp V4 - 99mod.

What happened the day it stopped working I started it as usual. It went just fine at idle, then I accellerated I got 100 meters then the engine lost all it's power and then I died. I tried to start it again, but it was barely any reaction. Started almost, then choked itself.

Then I did some troubleshooting, but couldn't really find any obvious reasons why it suddenly died. I thought maybe it was some spark issues, but I think the ignition is OK. Then the day after, I tried to start it again. But now it wouldn't start at all. Just almost start, then died. We changed all spark plugs, then it started and went perfect at idle. Even when I tried to give full throttle at idle it went up to 5k RPM without any problems. But once I put in in gear, it just *bluuurph*, almost no reaction. Then I pressed the auto choke, and *VROOOOM* went perfekt. Then I let go of the choke, and it slowly died again, but it didn't stop completely. Just went at 600 RPM at full throttle. I did this test over and over again, and it was repeatable. When I used choke, it went perfect.

Then I and the guy I had with me, though: "It doesn't seem like it gets enough fuel." So we checked the fuel hose and all the connections, but it was OK. Then we decided to check the fuel pump, to see if it was OK. But honestly, we don't know if it is OK.

I dismantled the fuel pump and I noticed.. There are 2 very thin aluminum-"things" (don't know the name of them) in each chambers inside the fuel pump. Then.. One of those, in each chamber was not 100% tight. When you pressed them, you could hear a "click". There is a small gap between them - not much, but maybe it is enough for the pump to stop working correctly?

Anyways. I mounted the fuel pump back together, mounted it back on the engine. Then I tried to start the engine again, but now... I wouldn't even go normal at idle. It started, but died after just a few seconds. Not even giving throttle at idle worked. I will check the mounting of the fuel pump tomorrow, just to be sure it's mounted correctly.

It seems like the pump is in bad shape? Or can it be something else that **** it up? Maybe some inpuriPlease. Let me hear some of your experiences. It's a long ride to the nearest outboard repair shop, so I try to do as much as I can before I capitulate, and take it to the repair shop :D

And... If there is anything you want to ask me, that may help you to help me, just shout :)

Hey, I had the same problem once and what I found, it was trash from ethanol fuel at the bottom of my fuel filter housing. Remove it, clean it out and you should be good to go. As I said, I had the very same prob and this corrected it. Damn ethanol!

Back