Logo

Edelbrock 1409 on a Big Block

LeisurLee

I have seen posts were guys are running Edelbrock 1409 on 454,s. I just want to get all the opinions I can before I buy them. The boat is a 1975 Chris Craft TSF, she had 350's from the factory. I replaced them with 454/350hp coupled with Hurth 630A's, the dry weight is 18000#. ie,it is a real slug. I usually don't run over 3000 rpm trying to stay out of the 4bbl. Would I see an improvement in fuel milage? And is the 600cfm provide enough fuel? Thanks for the help.

In MY OPINION ! Yes the 600 CFM is more than adequate for your air/fuel mixture, as to whether or not your mileage changes....unless you are just pouring fuel into the engine and something is radically out of range in your carbs currently, I don't see you gaining a significant difference by switching to the 1409's other than ease of maintenance. I have them and love them but I know my cruise speed fuel consumption is around 24gph and my boat is around 20% lighter. My 454's are 1992 vintage and v-drives. My top end on a Silverton 34C is around 31 knots....keep in mind though that we have been playing (TUNING) every variable for 3 years now. At that speed I get about .5 nm/gal

Heavy weight requires hp to move it. Period. No way around that.

The 600 cfm carb is the way to go since you'll try like hell to stay out of the secondaries, which is where the bigger carb gets its higher air flow.

Jeff

I'm just in the process of installing an Edelbrock 1409 on my '87 454 Crusader. I read all I could get my keyboard on before deciding on the 1409 600cfm and everywhere I read or inquired all said go with this carb. I should be running gas through mine by the middle of the week, and will keep you posted.

Thanks for the input everyone. If for no other reason I will be buying a pair of these for the new ethanol standards in the gasoline. I work in a refinery and get to see firsthand how nasty ethanol is. IT EATS EVERYTHING.... Edelbrock claims their carbs can handle the ethanol, hope so. SeaWay if you have time I sure would like to hear about the new carb experience. Thanks again.

The ethanol works on the "soft parts" in the carbs, as I'm sure you are away. As long as it is clean, the metal parts will last for decades with minimal impact.

Back