Logo

My outdrive is finally fixed!!!

I asked for help many months ago with a double problem on my drive. Reverse was impossible to engage and over 3000 rpm she would jump out of gear.
Here are the answers to my problems just in case anybody else suffers the same problems.

Reverse would not engage because the lock brace was seized in the 'unlocked' position, therefore the reverse lockout rod was hitting the lock brace which would not move preventing any travel towards reverse gear.

When forward was engaged, the fulcrum was hitting the base of the drive and I believe not allowing FULL engagement. Vibration over 3000 rpm coupled with the sloppiness in the linkages was allowing the drive to kick itself out of gear - hence the need to throttle back in order to re-engage. I have re-adjusted the linkages to stop the fulcrum hitting and adjusted the cable etc with regard to 'overtravel' as advised by Rick. Hey Presto! No more problems, she happily goes up to 4000 rpm and up on the plane AND stays in gear.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions as usual, it has taken months and lots of bank balance to get this sorted but I am now back out on the Mediterranean.

Bill, I've posted on this many times, and I don't recall the exact thread, but if I was of help, you are certainly welcome.
And good for you.... good job! :)

It can sure be frustrating, can't it?

Back