Logo

Got the Edelbrock 1409 and ready to install,

SeaWay

but have one quick question.
As far as you know, can I use the approved (A1 rubber fuel line hose) from the fuel pump to the carburetor? I'm in Canada and from reading it seems this is ok in the States. I've asked 3 people here and got 3 differnet answers, yes, no and don't know.
Anyone here know for sure the Cdn. reg's?
Thanks, Tom

Here in So California. I have USCG approved rubber fuel line from tank to filters from filters to pump and from pump to carbs. Marine surveyor who inspected the boat said it was ok.

As a continuation, I had a reply on another forum, Tolly related, giving me a 1-800 number for the Cdn. Boating Safety dept. I'll be calling them firsyt thing Mon. morning to get the lowdown. kyp

Still working on the rubber fuel line definative "yes".
On another note, I'm a carpenter but even from my eye, this adaptor plate from square bore to spread bore (or visa versa..) dosen't look right to me.
Any commentsIMG_2721.jpg

If the 4 bolts fit the carb and all carb butterflies open and close without hitting anything, and the gaskets seal, it willl likely work fine.

It does look like the adapter is upside down!

you think it's upside down? sheesh .... I'll try it up the other way and see how the openings on the carb side look. ps- the marina mechanic said it's supposed to go this way, says they don't like adaptors cause they cause flow restrictions. He's trying to sell me the Edelbrock Intake Manifold $380-$400cdn. plus their labor to install.

If your are comfortable at this level and you see where things are, IF you wanted to change the intake manifold it is not a difficult job to do. A new set of gaskets and a little RTV, a torque wrench and timing light ....you are there. The only thing you will need to do is to insure the distributor is set back into the drive dog when you slip it back in. If you do not disturb anything in there, you can simply make a few alignment marks upon removal and then key it all back when you re-install. Time the engine again to make sure and your done. I have adapters but I do like that Edelbrock manifold. I think Dave is using it too?

BTW: It looks upside down to me also but it is hard to see if your bolt holes are matched up

Note that the Edlebrock manifold is also designed for spreadbore. Yes, I do use the Edlebrock manifold, and also an aluminum 12deg wedge and no adapter plate. It doesn't leak, but also wasn't designed for that particular setup. I didn't take any data from stock to aluminum manifolds to know if they make a difference. To really do that test well, it would take an oxygen sensor for each cylinder, not something I'm about to engineer.

I can say for fact that using the A1 rated hose is A-O-K down south of the border. I would find it highly unlikely that the USCG counterparts on the north side of the border would take issue with an approved yankee fuel line install. The key is to use a good grade hose clamp.

the adapter is inverted in the pic.

The edelbrock adapter has four "holes" bored thru it so it isn't "open". They recommend not using the open adapter as it destroys the isolation between the two "halves" (left and right) of most stock intakes used (dual plane). if you have a single plane intake or a plenum based intake, the 'open adapter' would be ideal.

Back