Logo

318 Reverse oil pump drive shaft

Brock69

I have changed the engine block on my 1973 318 Reverse rotation engine.

When I installed the oil pump drive shaft the distributor will not fit. This is because of the collar (barrel) on the top of the gear. Standard shaft do not have the collar.

However the distance from the bottom of the gear to the end of oil pump drive shaft are the same length and style and as such I dont believe that the block or the bushing makes the difference. The Distributors are also the same.

I threw out the old block so I have nothing to compare it to.

Are Reverse rotation engine block's castings different from Standard rotation engine castings
I am having no lock in finding a source for a Reverse rotation oil pump drive shaft or a Distributor to accommodate the drive shaft.

All help will be greatly appreciated.
............................................................................................................

PS In order to determine the rotation of cam and drive gears the teeth will tell you what the rotation is. Gear teeth that go from left to right is Standard and teeth that go right to left is Reverse rotation ???

Reverse Rotation Distributor.JPG

Note (in the above photo) that there is a collar added to the reverse rotator motors to hold the pump gear down since it wants to rise from reverse thrust load. The oil pump, its gear, and blocks are similar. The RR distributor shaft is longer to account for the collar that holds the pump gear down.

Jeff

Last edited:
View attachment 1041

The RR distributor shaft is longer to account for the collar that holds the pump gear down.

Jeff
Not true Jeff, Measure one & actually check.. When I swapped out my RR for a newer magnum engine I used the SAME distibutor & the shafts are the same liength.tThe oil pump gear has a extended area that makes up the highth distance. Make sure the gear is fully seated. Did you save all the old parts to swap over or did you just change rotation? The teeth for the right hand shaft go this way whlie holding the shaft in your hand gear gear up .. //////////. the left hand looks like this...\\\\\\\\\. I have a extra pump shaft & spacer if you need one for the rh engine. Dave.

Last edited:
Back