Logo

Starter grinding - 1999’ Volvo-Penta 5.7 GL 350 small block

doyouboat

Let me start by, I'm a new boat owner. Yeah! I purchased the boat from my father-in-law who has meticulously cared for this boat over the past 10 years. Garage kept, winterized, maintained, etc. I received the boat with 560 hrs on it this summer. I’ve put a solid 60+ hrs into it since. It’s in the water currently. First symptoms of a starting problem happened with a few key turns, the first time being right before I pulled it approx 4 wks ago for a good cleaning. When I went to turn the ignition a loud metal on metal grinding noise came from the engine compartment. Defineately made me pause and worried to turn the key again, but after a couple key turns the engine started and I wrote it off as if something may have been stuck somewhere. I pulled the boat, it ended up sitting for about 3 weeks. When I put her back in the water last week, it started fine, like normal, so my family and I took her for a good run, nice and far away from home, turned off the engine and relaxed for about 20 mins. When I went to start it again, the same loud metal grinding noise happened. I freaked out, turned the engine a few more times, as I’d done before and the grinding stopped and went to a smooth electrical whine. A wizzing sound almost, as if the gears had finally locked. So we got a tow in, got trailered back to the marina and received a bunch of various opinions that the starter was shot. So I got a new starter, off-brand, affordable, cross-referenced to the original part #, etc. Installed it, key turn for the quick test, bingo! No problem, started right up. So I dropped it back into the water, ran it up and down the creek, no problems but a little rough when idling. So I replaced all the plugs a couple days later, started her back up and BANG, Crunch, Grind.. Same type of symptom I had before. So I double checked the new starter and it had come loose. I tightened it back up, started again no problem and slipped it. When I returned a couple days later, upon start-up, same grinding noises as before, but she eventually turned over, like before. I decided to take it for a run, no problems, smooth and nice ride, brought her back, slipped her, and did a quick test prior to covering just to see if she'd start again, nope, grind grind then major whine. 2nd starter shot! Pulled the 2nd starter a couple days later and the nose cone was broken in half and the internal components were all grinded up. So I purchased another brand name replacement starter (#3) from a local supplier for twice as much $$, installed it this evening, made sure it was snug and tight, went to start it and I’ll be damned if it didn’t grind loud enough most everyone on the dock heard it. So I covered it up and left. On the way out a dock hand suggested that I may need some starter shims. I stopped by the auto store and picked up a GM offset starter shim set. I’m boggled at the moment and could really use some advice. If you’ve been through this before or know things I should check, please let me know. Thanks!

Re: Starter grinding - 99’ Volvo-Penta 5.7 GL 350 small block

First off, I've only seen a snout break off a Chevy starter when the engine was in a hydrolic state. That being water has entered a cyl or two and when the starter cranks it tries to do what nature won't let it do, compress. The snout being the weakest point of the system lets go. A couple of your comments makes me think about that scenario.
A look at the flywheel with the starter off may prove to be worthwhile also, maybe some missing teeth? Less expensive or OEM starters all basically work and none do what your's are doing unless something else is wrong. I know many folks have had to shim Chevy starters but I having put many, many in, have not. I do use the newer perma-mag starters for all applications that they're available for now.
I'd take a close look at the hydrolic scenario right now. Good Luck

Back