Logo

1972 125hp johnson hydro-electric shift

George's

I have a 1972 125hp johnson outboard. the power head runs really well and starts real easy but this year when I went to use the boat it wouldn't go into forward gear, it goes into neutral and reverse fine. I checked the power to solenoids and the switch in the controller and all of that is fine. from what I understand is that if it will go into reverse then both solenoids need to be working if I am reading this right then neutral needs power to the green wire and for reverse the power needs to be to the green and the blue wire both. all that is good. In forward position there is no power to either wire. any ideas? and thank you for reading this

Re: 1972 125 johnson hydro-electric shift

Hydro Electric Gearcase: Assuming you are using what is called Premium Blend gearcase lube, also known as Type C.

Forward gear: No voltage to either shift wire. Shifter dog is spring loaded defaulting to forward gear.
Neutral: 12 volts applied to the Green wire.
Reverse: 12 volts applied to bothe the Green and Blue wire.

If indeed there is absolutely no voltage being applied to either wire and Forward gear is not engaged, I would assume that the plunger within the oil pump is jammed.

However, if with the engine NOT running, the gearcase IS in forward gear, then I would suspect a misadjusted solenoid. To test this scenario (being in forward gear), remove spark plugs, observe rotaion direction of propeller when turning the flywheel by hand.

Re: 1972 125 johnson hydro-electric shift

thank you I guess I will take the lower end apart then. I'm sure that I will be back asking more

Back