Logo

will controls from 95 johnson 90hp fit 86 rude 90hp?

ChuckNJ

Hi I recently purchased a 95 Proline with a 95 Johnson 90hp. We tested the boat before purchase on the lake and all seemed well. I guess we put 10 minutes running on it. Two days later after fixing some electrical issures with pumps I decided to take back out on lake for shakedown. I am not new to boats as i have a 92 basscat with 150hp Yammy that i rebuilt and hopped up myself with the help of Hydrotec so i feel i knew what to look and listen for but iguess i dont know as much as i think . On this wednesday my son and i took the boat out and were running down the lake full throttle when it just shut down like it was starving for fuel. It took a while to restart but it did not seem right. To make a long story short after running the boat for 10 minutes i pulled the plugs only to fiind one of the plug electrode hit by piston and now it has a hole in it as there is no compression in that cylinder. I called the guy who i bought it from and he wont do anything for me. So my choices are rebuilt powerhead or used motor.

While searching craigslist I came acccross a 86 evinrude the model is e90tlcdg what i need to know is I have not really messed with rigging of a boat just engine. I am a ASE master auto tech but boats are not my specialty. Will the rigging from the 95 johnson work with the 86 evinrude? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Chuck

Check the cable connection harness-engine.
If one big RED plug (round) you may go on.
If your broken down engine has multiple square Deutz contacts, it will not go on the 86 without a conversion cable kit.

Back