Logo

synthetic oil?

scott_duerring

Regular Contributor
I have started using Royal Purple Synthetic oil in my 8.2 MPI engines, at the suggestion that using synthetic oil would help cut down on the "infamous" amount of oil t these engines us. Does anyone else use synthetic oil? Any downside to using this kind of oil?

I am using Royal Purple 30W synthetic oil in my '92 454's. I think the only downside is the initial sticker shock.

Frankly, I think synthetic oils have done more for engines in the last 20 years than those freakin ECU's :)

I use synthetic oils in anything I have control of in my "fleet" being it, cars, boats, motorcycles or farm tractors and have done so for the last 12 years or so.

It has a cleaning effect in the engine so you may find your filters getting a bit sluggish so just keep an eye on it. There are LOADS of technical articles out there. Some I have read and the rest comes from friends with significantly more knowledge and several who work on different military bases from ground to air equipment.

Mobil 1 here - very similar situation as Knuckle's. Only exception is with the two cycle engines....the drum of quicksilver oil will probably last another decade with the few I have.

Also, I use extended change intervals with all the modern (or rebuilt) engines. I used a fixed interval and forego the UOA.

Agree on the sticker shock... when you say the filter gets sluggish, do you suggest just changing out the filter without a total oil change? I have about 20 hours on since I switched to synthetic... not really ready for a complete oil change.

Back