Logo

1979 140 hp carb problems

87silverado

I recently purchased a boat with a 1979 140 Chrysler engine I would not start, troubleshot and found gas to bowls but none further so I proceeded to clean the carbs, removed and removed all pieces that I felt needed to be removed and then put in carb cleaner for a couple hours apiece. After this was done I reassembled and set the screw to 1.5 turns out, the engine did fire off and run but not real well so I screwed the bottom carb screw in till it started to sputter, die, then went to the top carb and was able to screw all the way in and did not actually change anything so I removed again and cleaned again this time left it in cleaner over night to no avail still does the same thing, I can still screw the screw all the way in and does not alter the engine.
Does anyone have any ideas on this? should I just get 2 carb kits and completely rebuild?
If so is 18-7037 the right kit or just 7037 to purchase and what is the screw setting to start with? was I right at 1.5 turns out?

Any help in this matter would deeply be appreciated

Michael

[email protected]

Re: 140 hp carb problems

The carbs main jet has small holes in the base.They need to be cleaned out.Do a compression/spark test.Post your results.J

Re: 140 hp carb problems

I finally found what kit was needed and purchased and installed carbs are good now.

took it out over the weekend and motor ran fine but it would only go partially into forward or reverse could adjust linkage to get either but not both, so just used without reverse but after a couple hours felt like it was jumpin in and out of gear never did figure out the problem but it continued to get worse so I guess I will remove the lower end to get a visual.

If anyone has an answer to this any info would be sweet

thx all

Michael

Back